Director of Environment, Health, and Safety
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally, and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, and working here you’ll be able to see your direct impact. At Starry, we reward autonomy and creativity; you’ll have the opportunity to develop your creative ideas. Our team is hard working, fast and collaborative and we encourage working on personal growth. There will be many opportunities to collaborate with other departments and you’ll be able to interact with incredibly talented people.
What we're looking for:
Starry is seeking an experienced Director of Environment, Health, and Safety to join our rapidly growing organization. Reporting to the COO, you will be a key employee and largely responsible for the significant undertaking of safety for all Starry locations across the country. Safety is an important priority for us, and we need a talented individual to help us expand our programs and ensure compliance.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, implement, and manage safety programs nationwide for all Starry locations, in conjunction with HR and Legal
- Own safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations, including OSHA
- Investigate all accidents and injuries and make recommendations for needed corrections
- Regularly audit safety programs for effectiveness and employee adherence
- Partner with supervisors and managers to develop and track regular safety trainings
- Maintain thorough knowledge of federal and state safety regulations and safety codes, updating and communicating as needed
- Train managers and team leads on inspection of tools and equipment; create and manage tracking process
- Direct administrative staff on ordering of safety equipment
- Prepare and maintain required reports and OSHA logs
- Maintain and update MSDS records
- Coordinate and help resolve inquiries and reports with HR and Legal
- Partner with fleet manager to investigate and resolve any vehicle accidents
- Perform field inspections to confirm employees and subcontractors are working in a safe and compliant manner
- Assist HR with wellness programs
- 7-10 years of related experience
- In-depth knowledge of OSHA regulations and compliance standards a must
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills
- Being ready to hit the ground running
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage and respond to shifting priorities with enthusiasm
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Flexible and comfortable with travel to remote offices, approximately 50% initially
Bonus points if..
- You’ve worked with Google Suite
- You have a sense of humor
- You can speak and write in Spanish
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday
- Snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.