Construction Technician Vertical Assets
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for Construction Technicians who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. You will act as the face of Starry Internet Services to building owners and internet subscribers, and be responsible for driving our network infrastructure projects by leveraging your networking knowledge.
Reporting to the Vertical Asset Construction Manager (CM) and supervised by the Construction Technician Lead (as part of each crew), this role will provide continued support for the construction and deployment of Vertical Asset (Beam/Hybrid Serving sites). The Vertical Asset Construction Technician will be responsible for the installation and delivery of assigned Vertical Asset projects and build outs.
What You’ll Do:
- Delight customers and provide a superior customer experience
- Install wireless equipment using any combination of external and internal antennas, coaxial cable, fiber optic, and UTP (CAT6, CAT5) cables on indoor and outdoor vertical structures
- Install various ground mounted equipment and cabinets
- Terminate wall and ceiling mounted components
- Complete Fiber and UTP Certification and testing
- Assist in proposal development and project preparation activities
- Complete job related as-build documentation
- Complete site surveys to troubleshoot and design corrective RF and RF/fiber optic installations for existing systems
- Keep customers and Construction Manager informed of progress of installation
- Communicate and coordinate with customers and company regarding specific safety concerns, local code, and company installation requirements
- Follow directions and learn from the Construction Technician Lead and Construction Manager (CM)
- Updated on and follow safety protocols, as warranted, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as well as OSHA safety standards
Experience and Education Required:
- Must have a minimum of 3+ years of experience in performing outdoor and in-building installation, deployment and fiber construction of telecom networks, and wireless infrastructure
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with installing and weather proofing of conduits for Outside Plant, Telephone, and Power engineering systems
- 3+ years of experience with common wireless equipment including Fiber, Switches, Repeaters, Coaxial Cable, CAT 5 Cable, Antennas, Splitters, Fiber Cable, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to drive performance and execute against plans as well as complete installations independently in a professional manner at all job sites
- Knowledge of safe operation of vertical lift and truck mounted boom/vertical lift as well as demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects
- Installation of various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory,
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well on a team
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks during our monthly company meeting
- Snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.