Technical Program Manager for Network Deployment
We love coming up with huge ideas and figuring out ways to bring them to life. Our team spans RF engineering, hardware architecture, firmware, UX, UI, software, industrial design, marketing, branding, and communications. And one thing we all share is an intense desire to make something beautiful. Something that makes a real dent.
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy Program Manager who shares our passion for improving access to the internet. Our ideal candidate possesses considerable domain experience, driving projects with User Experience, User Interface, and Consumer Electronics for service providers. You’ll have a passion for wowing consumers with innovation! Reporting to the General Manager who is overseeing Starry’s new Market Expansion program, you will help our project teams achieve success on delivering strategic initiatives, as part of our organization-wide programs.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage the overall new market expansion and launch program for 15 – 20 markets
- Project manage the entire lifecycle of site build outs in new markets
- Drive new market expansion projects by executing and maintaining project management processes in the areas of project schedule, deployment planning, communications management, risk/issue management, and change management
- Lead and track the market project plans from design, site acquisition, contracts, construction, build-out, equipment ordering, and launch/on-air
- Manage the project budget, tracking, communication, and reporting
- Establish cadence of deliverables from cross-disciplinary teams including site acquisition, construction, GIS, RF designs, marketing, user experience, and system integration, leading up to deployed solutions with feedback from customer support
- Ensure smooth communication within the project team and other cross-functional teams
- Build strong communication channels with internal stakeholders in various departments: Engineering, Operations, Sales, Marketing, Business Development, etc.
- Develop and maintain project schedules, Statements of Work, Bills of Materials, costs, and calendars with the input and assistance of your co-workers
- Deliver regular project status reporting to provide a high degree of transparency on schedules and risks
- Influence continuous improvement of processes to improve scale and reduce costs
- Collaborate effectively with internal teams to initiate process improvements and ensure cross-functional alignment
- Interface with external stakeholders and manage stakeholder expectations as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in technical field or technical communication
- 5 - 7 years of experience in project management in the wireless telecommunication industry
- 3 - 5 years of experience with wireless network build outs and deployment
- 3 years of relevant experience in one of these fields - RF Engineering, Site Acquisition, or Construction
- Experience managing projects combining site acquisition, construction, and RF engineering
- Experience working with cross functional teams to manage and track the entire market network build outs
- Experience with analytical, quantitative, business, or technical focus
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Passion for customer service
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills
- Outstanding teamwork and flexibility
- Ability to successfully manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Telecommunications or networking experience highly preferred
- Knowledge of construction services (ordering and installation): Telco, power, fiber, basic construction, permitting, vendor equipment requirements, antennas, and grounding preferred
- Real passion for Starry’s business
- The art of persuasion with a sense of humor
- Selfless hands on Project Management
- Enjoys multiculturalism
- Ability to travel domestically once per quarter
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks during our monthly company meeting
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.