Construction Technician Lead
Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy Construction Technician Lead who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. You will act as the face of Starry Internet to building owners and internet subscribers, and be responsible for driving our network infrastructure projects by leveraging your networking knowledge.
Reporting to the Manager of Deployment/Construction, this role will provide continued support for the construction and deployment of Multi Dwelling Units (MDUs) in support of building Starry network and internet services. The Construction Technician Lead will be responsible for the installation and delivery of assigned MDU projects and build outs.
What you’ll do:
- Delight customers and provide a superior customer experience
- Install wireless equipment using any combination of external and internal antennas, coaxial cable, fiber optic, and UTP cables on indoor and outdoor vertical structures
- Install AC / DC power equipment including electrical panel, disconnect, and meter housing
- Install various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Terminate wall and ceiling mounted components
- Complete Fiber and UTP Certification and testing
- Path/aim RF radio equipment within technical specifications
- Assist in proposal development and project preparation activities
- Complete job related documentation and record keeping
- Complete site surveys to troubleshoot and design corrective RF and RF/fiber optic installations for existing systems with inadequate coverage
- Assist in warehouse maintenance and inventory
- Keep customers and company informed of progress of installation
- Communicate and coordinate with customers and company regarding specific safety concerns, local code, and company installation requirements
- Assist with development of project schedules and materials/subcontractor selections
- Mentor and lead less experienced technicians
- Keep informed on and follow safety protocols, as warranted, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as well as OSHA safety standards
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of outdoor and/or in-building installation experience in network engineering, deployment, fiber construction, wireless infrastructure, or telecom environment
- 5 years of experience in outside plant, telephone, or power engineering, and construction and experience with common wireless equipment including fiber, repeaters, coaxial cable, CAT 5 cable, antennas, splitters, fiber cable, etc.
- A demonstrated ability to drive performance and execute against plans as well as complete installations independently in a professional manner at all job sites
- Knowledge of safe operation of vertical lift and truck mounted boom/vertical lift as well as demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects
- Installation of various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory,
- BICSI Certified Preferred
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well on a team
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.