Tier III Network Operations Engineer, Wireless Networks
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a groundbreaking wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an expert Engineer to join our growing team. You will directly support the Network Operations group by operating our fiber, wireless, routing and IP transit assets for national backbone, regional backhaul, and last mile networks. Starry prides itself in handling the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user, from the consumer friendly Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router, which was designed in house, to custom networking equipment allowing us to deliver gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to custom in-house designed point to multi-point wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to a residential dwelling.
This position will ensure the continuity of the bits flowing from one end to another without restriction and assist in restoring service as quickly as possible when an issue does occur. You will have had success building, configuring and operating fixed wireless network backhaul systems, using multi-vendor equipment.
- You will support a 24/7/365 network operations team responding to outages advanced by the existing Tier-2 networking team.
- You will work closely with the deployment group to provide engineering, architectural, and debug assistance in the metro backbone and last-mile areas of our network. You will collaborate with the team to understand their needs and be responsible for the guidelines, standards, and tools used by them in each market to complete these tasks.
- You will collaborate with the Starry engineering team, which custom builds our wireless hardware, to improve the operational abilities of its products.
- You will handle the configuration and upgrade management of 'off the shelf' networking equipment as well as Starry custom equipment and handle the creation and maintenance of network documentation.
- You will analyze system and network performance, implementing changes to improve throughput and effectively utilize resources.
- You will work with network service vendors as needed to operate the Starry network, including outside contractors, managed service providers, network circuit providers, and colocation providers.
- There may be travel up to 20% of the time to support network needs in remote markets.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience with configuring, operating, and solving problems in outdoor fixed wireless systems, microwave and millimeter wave, PTP and PMP wireless backhaul; CCNP Wireless or equivalent
- 3+ years experience in design and operation of high capacity networks (carrier or content provider background preferred) providing direct internet access to customers
- Experience with operating a network of several 10Gbps circuits and working with the service providers who operate these circuits, including resolving outages and circuit turn up
- Creation and maintenance of network documentation (standard design, schematics, processes, standard operating procedures) and administration of network systems
- Experience with carrier grade hardware: Cisco ASR, Juniper MX or Brocade MLX required
- Experience with customer edge products: Cisco Catalyst/Nexus, Juniper EX, etc. also preferred
- Experience with network monitoring, management and secure authentication protocols and tools such as TACACS+/RADIUS
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Experience with building and deploying network automation solutions
- A real passion for scripting, programming, and API experience is a plus
We work hard, so we take care of our team members and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.