Tier III Network Operations Engineer - Backbone
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a groundbreaking wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking an expert Engineer to join our growing team. You will operate our fiber, wireless, routing, and IP transit assets for national backbone, regional backhaul, and last mile networks. Starry prides itself in handling the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user, from the consumer friendly Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router, which was designed in-house, to custom networking equipment allowing us to deliver gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to custom in-house designed point to multi-point wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to a residential dwelling.
This position will ensure the continuity of the bits flowing from one end to another without restriction and assist in restoring service as quickly as possible when an issue does occur. You will have been successful building and operating complex data networks from design to production operations.
- You will support a 24/7/365 network operations team responding to network outages as advanced by the existing tier-2 networking team.
- There will be a primary responsibility for design, build, operation, maintenance and growth of datacenter deployments in carrier hotels, including rack layout, power, out-of-band management, cross connects ordering and management, IP transit and longhaul backbone transport.
- You will work closely with the deployment group to provide engineering, architectural, and debug assistance in the metro backbone and last-mile areas of our network. You will collaborate with the team to understand their needs and have responsibility for the guidelines, standards, and tools used by them in each market to complete these tasks.
- You will be a leader of backbone and IP transit network planning analyzing usage and resiliency, understanding growth and working with the design and deployment team to grow and improve existing wireless, metro and long haul fiber, IP transit and peering circuits and POP (carrier hotel, wireless hub) locations.
- You will collaborate with the Starry engineering team, which custom builds our point to multi-point wireless hardware, to progress the operational abilities of its products.
- You will be responsible for the configuration and upgrade of off-the-shelf networking equipment as well as Starry custom equipment. You will implement standard methodologies in configuration management and deployment.
- You will work with Starry Cloud Operations Engineering to aid in the development of new tools to improve network management and data collection of deployed equipment.
- There may be travel up to 20% of the time to support network needs in remote markets.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience in the design and operation of high capacity networks (carrier or content provider) providing direct internet access to customers; CCNP or equivalent required; CCIE Service Provider or Route & Switch preferred
- Experience with operating a network of several 10Gbps circuits and working with the service providers who provide these circuits, resolving outages and circuit turn up
- An authority on BGP and ipv6 and have operated a network with internet routing tables
- Experience working with carrier grade hardware: Cisco ASR, Juniper MX or Brocade MLX and customer edge products: Cisco Catalyst/Nexus, Juniper etc.
- Experience with network monitoring, management and secure authentication protocols and tools such as TACACS+/RADIUS
- Experience with MPLS or other large scale network (SDN, etc.) solutions preferred
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Experience with Linux embedded systems and server administration
- Built and deployed network automation solutions
- A real passion for scripting, programming, and API experience would be phenomenal
We work hard, so we take care of our team members and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.