Manager, Field Maintenance
Starry is reinventing the way people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we're looking for:
Starry is seeking a Manager of Network Field Maintenance for our Los Angeles office. In this position, you will be hiring and managing a team of Field Maintenance technicians that support network operations. Network Field maintenance is responsible for addressing critical outages 24/7 which may require replacing hardware electronics, aiming antennas, re-terminating data cables, and electrical cables, all of which requires a high level of prioritization and on-the-fly troubleshooting.
Troubleshooting and problem solving with other teams is critical in this role. Network Field Maintenance is also responsible for supporting hardware upgrades to the network and general time dependent maintenance such as inspecting, replacing corroded or aged cabling, cleaning antenna radomes, telecom closet cleaning, weather sealing/conditioning and cable management.
This role requires regular communication with the Technical Project Managers to coordinate activities while working to bring new sites live as well as collaboration with Tier 2 and Tier 3 teams to quickly and efficiently address maintenance tickets. An ability to assess fast changing variables to ascertain project priority is key for this role.
A typical day is a mix between office-based activities while triaging and planning activity between the teams. The Manager of Network Field Maintenance will also often participate in field work for planned and unplanned maintenance. Supporting field activity is sometimes off-site and at times off-hours.
What you’ll be doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of our overall technology portfolio
- Review site design documentation and installation drawings
- Hire and manage a team of field maintenance technicians which includes training, setting measurable objectives and handling of the team’s schedules
- Work with third party contractors and internal teams to address issues and defects found during the construction phase as well as any maintenance work
- Review and confirm contractor sign off sheets, Close out Walks, trouble tickets, methods and procedures (MOPs) for each maintenance activity
- Prioritize field maintenance activity by working with Technical Project Managers and managing “on call” calendar, escalations and procedures
- Prioritize maintenance ticket remediation
- Balance maintenance material inventory and equipment (e.g., spares, general maintenance materials, tools, staging)
- Work with project managers to identify improvements: generally, around build design, documentation, methodology, and maintainability of the network
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, you'll also develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment and network stability
- BS/MS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Management or equivalent practical experience
- 10 or more years of experience in a hands-on technical role
- Experience with RF, networking, and electrical cabling systems
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Experience with troubleshooting ticket systems, prioritization and managing a 24x7 field maintenance team for wireless or ISP networks
- Having a track record of delivering on or exceeding goals
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Background check may be required
Bonus Points If..
- You have experience with Python
- A real passion for Starry’s business
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered meals on a weekly basis
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.