Principal R&D Engineer, Communications
Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
About this position:
The successful individual will conceive and develop advanced techniques for MAC through transport layers of the OSI for Starry’s broadband internet systems, using analysis, simulation, optimization, prototyping, and experimentation. Starry uses its own millimeter wave broadband technology, fiber optic and a variety of other technologies. Success in this position requires technical acumen and grace, and ability to work independently and collaboratively.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and research novel communications solutions to improve Starry’s customer experience
- Use NS3 or other simulators to prove out your ideas, then prototype your designs in our systems lab or in field experiments
- Master of Science in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other related disciplines, PhD preferred, equivalent experience or aptitude accepted
- Proficiency with C++, Python & Linux
- Experience with 802.11 (WiFi) based systems at protocol level
- Experience with TCP acceleration techniques (e.g. proxying, QUIC)
- Have made submissions to Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) or 802.11 TGs in any area
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock options
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.