OSP / Wireless Construction Technician Lead
Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy Construction Lead who wants to help us redefine how users access the internet. You will be responsible for driving our infrastructure projects by leveraging your knowledge of formal construction management methodologies.
Reporting to the Tech Ops Team, you will drive the construction and deployment of Vertical Assets in support of building Starry’s network and internet services. The Construction Lead will be responsible for the supervision and management of internal and contractor field crews for assigned Vertical Asset projects. You’ll be accountable for managing the overall deployment, including scope, cost, safety, quality, schedule, and implementation.
What you’ll do:
- Ensure construction work complies with drawings, engineering standards, codes, specifications, and design instructions
- Work cooperatively with construction and project teams
- Manage and motivate team members and contractors through regular communication and collaboration
- Assist with the review of contractor bids and project specific vendor awards
- Provide on-time and high quality construction planning and execution
- Supervise construction progress; ensure construction adheres to quality standards and forecasted completion dates
- Develop Scope of Work (SOW) for each project and review these with the Project Manager prior to project commencement
- Review construction BOM for vertical asset projects to ensure accuracy and availability
- Maintain accurate and timely daily construction reports, including activities, quality, and any escalated issues
- Assist in proposal development and project preparation activities
- Support the resolution of project issues and track progress updates
- Oversee quality control deliverables: enforce quality standards through regular inspections, ensuring design standards are adhered to, and follow through on any corrective actions
- Interface with the Construction Manager to complete projects, clarify project status, and meet customer needs
- Create and deliver project as-built and turn over package to Operations
- Assist in warehouse maintenance and inventory
- Complete site surveys to troubleshoot and design corrective RF and RF/fiber optic installations for existing systems with inadequate coverage
- Keep informed on and follow safety protocols, as warranted, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as well as OSHA safety standards
- Complete other duties as assigned
- 5 years of experience in a technology, project, or construction lead role
- 5 years of experience in Outside Plant, Telephone, or Power engineering, and construction and experience with common wireless equipment including Fiber, Repeaters, Coaxial Cable, CAT 5 Cable, Antennas, Splitters, Fiber Cable, etc.
- Proven ability to multi-task with a high attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- MUST be hands-on and able to roll up their sleeves
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Strong communicator and influencer with a record of accomplishment of delivering on-time concurrent projects
- Able to effectively manage resources and track and complete projects before scheduled deadlines
- Experience in new site development construction, fiber construction, wireless infrastructure, or telecom construction management preferred
- Technology expertise in telecommunications, infrastructure cabling, wireless, AC/DC power, grounding, and building architecture
- Knowledge of safe operation of vertical lift and truck mounted boom/vertical lift as well as demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects
- Installation of various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), and amplifier/antenna/cable theory
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Background check may be required
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.