RF / Cable Technician
Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
We’re looking for a Network Deployment Technician to work on team and solo missions to support the Network Deployment team by racking, stacking, and cabling networking cabinets; pulling, terminating, and testing copper and fiber optic cables; configuring and provisioning proprietary and off-the-shelf micro- and millimeter wave PTP and PTMP radios; and fixing network performance issues. You will work with switches, routers, network management systems, wireless radios, and other IP network devices. A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, and you'll be willing to work off-hours and participate in occasional field deployments that are off-site. This position will be based in Washington, DC and will have some occasional local travel.
What you'll do:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Participate in design sessions with Engineering and Deployment QA to develop an understanding for how we approach the design process, how to read design documents, how to cable a customer property MDF cabinet, and how to configure and provision various network components
- Configure routers, switches, NUCs, wireless radios, and other IP network devices in preparation for their deployment to customer sites
- Responsible for network equipment cabling, pulling and terminating CAT & fiber cables, wire and system testing, repair, and service maintenance
- Track, prioritize, and handle technical activities and landmarks from start of build to customer-ready
- Troubleshoot and correlate event/alarm events and resolve trouble tickets
- Produce positive results in high-pressure situations
- Some work shifts outside of normal business hours, performing tasks that can only be accomplished outside business hours and address any new issues that may arise
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
- 2-4 years of experience as a network technician, preferably in the field installing and aiming microwave PTP and PTMP links
- Basic knowledge in micro/millimeter wave RF area (LOS, Fresnel zones, interference, main/side lobes)
- Proficient knowledge of the installation of internet broadband, including installation and testing of Cat-3/5/5E/6/6A cables, fiber, fiber connectors, patch panels, rack equipment, 110 and 66 blocks
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Proven and strong competency in diligently updating as-built documentation for internal partners: often in the form of network implementation plans, physical network designs, documents, and spreadsheets
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must be able to regularly use ladders, hatches, steps, and other means to gain access to roofs on multiple story buildings
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly and as required
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock options
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after one year of employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.