DevOps Engineer, Internet Validation
Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
About the Internet Validation Team:
The Internet Validation team plays a key role in the development of Starry’s technology.
Internet Validation engineers are involved in the design of each new feature in our products. We participate in each sprint with Firmware, Product Delivery, and other engineering teams. We develop automated regression tests that run against nightly and milestone releases of our system software. Additionally, we leverage our expertise with the product to support engineering, manufacturing, and deployment.
What You’ll Do:
The Internet Validation team maintains a Linux-based internal test network that allows us to efficiently support our own test harnesses as well as administrate systems for other teams. The network covers nine (and growing) locations across five timezones, providing critical services 24/7 to our manufacturing and deployment operations. This role is focused on automating the maintenance of this network, striking a balance between supporting hyper-specific, quickly changing requirements of individual test systems and efficient management of hundreds of such systems. The position is not isolated from Internet Validation as a whole; all engineers on the team are expected to develop software that interacts with Starry Internet products.
- Experience in at least one scripting language
- Experience in Linux system administration, esp. using tools such as Ansible, systemd, and SELinux
- A thorough understanding of networking concepts particularly at layers 2, 3, and 4
- Strong interpersonal skills and a love of learning
- Bachelor's degree in Software, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, equivalent experience, or a strong open-source portfolio
- Proficiency with Python and Bash
- Understanding of the Linux networking stack
- Experience in the natural sciences and experimental methodology
- Knowledge of IEEE 802.11n/ac/ax, 3G/4G/5G wireless communications standards and protocols
- Experience with Wi-Fi functional, performance or stability testing
- Experience with RF systems concepts and related test equipment (e.g. spectrum analyzers)
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock options
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.