Software Engineer, Internet Firmware Validation
Starry is proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
About the Internet Firmware Validation Team:
The Internet Firmware Validation team plays a key role in the development of Starry’s technology.
Internet Firmware Validation engineers are involved in the design of each new feature in our products. We participate in each sprint with Firmware, Product Delivery, and other engineering teams. We develop automated regression tests that run against nightly and milestone releases of our system software. Additionally, we leverage our expertise with the product to support engineering, manufacturing, and deployment.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, develop, and extend custom test frameworks and test beds
- Write software that interfaces with Starry hardware, both as a complete system and in test harnesses
- Develop automated scripts in Python to continually improve testing capabilities
- Evaluate product and feature specifications and requirements
- Quantify system reliability, scalability, load and throughput
- Develop software and services that improve efficiency for other validation engineers, in all roles described above
- Strong interpersonal skills and a love of learning
- Bachelor's degree in Software, Computer, or Electrical Engineering, equivalent experience, or a strong open-source portfolio
- Proficiency with Python and Bash
- Understanding of computer networking concepts, particularly at layers 2, 3, and 4
- Experience developing for embedded platforms
- Experience in the natural sciences and experimental methodology
- Knowledge of IEEE 802.11n/ac/ax, 3G/4G/5G wireless communications standards and protocols
- Experience with Wi-Fi functional, performance or stability testing
- Experience with RF systems concepts and related test equipment (e.g. spectrum analyzers)
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock options
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.