Co-Op, Systems Software
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Our Spring 2022 Engineering Co-Op program lasts from January 3, 2022 to June 24, 2022 at our Boston, MA headquarters. As temporary full-time Starry employees, Co-Ops receive accrued vacation time in addition to paid holidays. Systems Software Engineering Co-Ops continue to be onsite at our headquarters with COVID-19 precautions in place. We also offer housing assistance to those outside the Boston metropolitan area, so we encourage students from all over the US to apply!
This role leverages software skills and enthusiasm to build challenging high performance devices. Starry is working on network communications equipment at the consumer and infrastructure level and the system software / firmware team that is part of it works on Linux system level software, communication control and configuration software and also some low level micro controller software.
- Linux: You should be very familiar and comfortable with the Linux operating system.
- C/C++/Python or other languages: You should be comfortable with writing code and debugging and troubleshooting issues that might arise. While no specific language is required, you should be able to adapt yourself to syntax and be familiar with low level programming concepts and debugging.
- Willingness: This is a small enterprise and system software / firmware is central to the family of products. Willingness and desire to learn new technologies and dig deep to find out root causes of issues will be essential.
- 100% employer paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock option grants in a privately-held company
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, community clubs, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.