Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated, energetic individual who is ready to roll up their sleeves and quickly add value in a fast-paced environment. This is a highly visible role that requires problem solving and the ability to understand and analyze complex accounting transactions. The ideal candidate will possess strong written and verbal communication skills, and understands the importance of delivering timely and accurate GAAP financial statements. The senior accountant will own accounting activities that are essential to maintaining the financial integrity of the General Ledger. These activities range from preparation of journal entries and reconciliations, to analyzing key monthly financial results. Here at Starry, we are experiencing exponential growth and need someone who isn’t afraid of putting in the leg work to get the job done.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for the timely execution of key close processes (month-end, quarter-end, and year-end) including balance sheet reconciliations related to fixed assets, inventory within tight deadlines
- Prepare month-end accruals to ensure expenses are recognized in the appropriate period
- Analyze key GL accounts on a monthly basis to ensure balances reflect proper accounting, and are aligned with budget/forecast models
- Prepare monthly US GAAP compliant financial statements
- Provide analysis and commentary on monthly P&L and Balance Sheet flux reporting
- Analyze new contracts for completeness and proper accounting treatment, including ASC 606 and other technical accounting guidance
- Review, evaluate, and implement effective and sustainable internal controls
- Effectively use accounting knowledge to collaborate with varying levels of employees and management to drive sound business decisions
- Responsible for coordinating audit activities with external auditors and tax advisors
- Ad-hoc financial requests
- BA/BS in Accounting or related field
- 3-5 years of accounting experience including and understanding of US GAAP, accounting best practices and various accounting processes
- 1-3 years of public accounting experience
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills (vlookup, pivot tables, etc.)
Bonus points if..
- You’ve worked with NetSuite, Stripe
- You have experience in a hardware-centric business
- You are familiar with the Google Suite
- You have a sense of humor
- You have a positive attitude
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
All full time Starry employees receive:
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock option grants in a privately-held company
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.