Director, Market Network Operations and Maintenance
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
As Director, Network Maintenance, you will be hiring and managing a team of Field Maintenance and Network technicians that support Network Operations. Network O&M is responsible for addressing critical outages 24/7 which may require replacing hardware electronics, aiming antennas, re-terminating data cables, and electrical cables, all of which requires a high level of prioritization and on-the-fly troubleshooting.
Network O&M is also responsible for supporting hardware upgrades to the network and general time dependent maintenance such as inspecting, replacing corroded or aged cabling, cleaning antenna radomes, telecom closet cleaning, weather sealing/conditioning and cable management. This role requires regular communication with the Technical Project Managers to coordinate activities while working to bring new sites live as well as collaboration with Tier 2 and Tier 3 teams to quickly and efficiently address maintenance tickets. An ability to assess fast changing variables and shift priorities is key for this role.
A typical day is a mix between office-based activities while triaging and planning activity between the teams. The Senior Manager, Network Maintenance will also often participate in field work for planned and unplanned maintenance. Supporting field activity is sometimes off-site and off-hours.
What you’ll do:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of our overall technology portfolio
- Review site design documentation and installation drawings
- Provide expert guidance on Starry system design concepts, including physical network design and key RF considerations
- Responsible for all local operational aspects of the in-market Starry network, including design, construction, fiber backhaul connectivity, in-building hardware/wiring, maintenance and team management
- Hire and manage a team of field maintenance technicians which includes training, setting measurable objectives and handling of the team’s schedules
- Hire and manage a team of network technicians which includes training, setting measurable objectives and handling of the team’s schedules
- Work with third party contractors and internal teams to address issues and defects found during the construction phase as well as any maintenance work
- Review and confirm contractor sign off sheets, Close out Walks, trouble tickets, methods and procedures (MOPs) for each maintenance activity
- Prioritize field maintenance activity and managing “on call” calendar, escalations and procedures
- Prioritize maintenance ticket remediation
- Balance maintenance material inventory and equipment (e.g., spares, general maintenance materials, tools, staging)
- Work with project managers to identify improvements: generally, around build design, documentation, methodology, and maintainability of the network
- You’ll be the primary point of contact to resolve technical design issues from customers (internal and external) during and after builds
- Provide hands-on management of the most complex projects: leading by personally taking on difficult problems
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, you'll also develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment and network stability
- BS/MS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Management or equivalent practical experience
- 10+ years of experience in a hands-on technical role
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Experience with troubleshooting ticket systems, prioritization and managing a 24x7 field maintenance team for wireless or ISP networks
- Experience with RF, networking, and electrical cabling systems
- Experience building teams and proven leadership ability
- Having a track record of delivering on or exceeding goals
- Our ideal candidate will have a strong bias for action, and sense of pace and urgency; you’ll ensure work is completed within expected timelines
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, work in extreme weather, and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear correctly and as required
- Must be able to regularly use ladders, hatches, steps, and other means to gain access to roofs on multiple story buildings
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
All full time Starry employees receive:
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan and stock option grants in a privately-held company
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for new mothers and fathers after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.