Senior Manufacturing Quality Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
What you'll do:
This position will drive hardware quality from NPI through End of Life by working closely with Manufacturing Operations, Hardware Engineering, Test Engineering and Contract Manufacturers (CM) to deliver robust products that meet Starry’s manufacturability, cost, quality, and delivery objectives. A successful candidate must have proven experience in Manufacturing Engineering of complex electro-mechanical systems, printed circuit boards, and printed circuit board assemblies.
- Ensure that component and finished devices are properly specified and inspected and the associated manufacturing processes are properly designed, analyzed and validated.
- Evaluate component and sub-assembly subcontractors to ensure hardware quality and conformance to standards and regulations.
- Work with the CM to develop, implement, and maintain Process Flows, Control Plans, MSAs, and Quality Plans.
- Establish and implement inspections, test methods and inspection sampling plans to ensure performance and quality of the product meet product specifications and expectations for both production level components and finished devices.
- Provide technical expertise in conducting PFMEAs with Contract Manufacturers and developing process validations
- Ensure proper approval, documentation and communication practices are followed for any Supplier Change Request at CMs.
- Support quality metrics and provide leadership in problem resolution and failure analysis with manufacturing partners and component suppliers.
- Drive DFM activities within Starry and with the manufacturing partners
- Provide guidance and support to the mechanical design team to ensure proper new design introduction at the mechanical fabrication vendor. This will also include First Article Inspection and First Off Tool Sample approval at the vendor.
- Perform root cause investigation for supplier product quality issues and ensure supplier corrective/preventive actions are in place. Investigate and report on field quality issues, failures and complaints and work to resolution.
- Calculate and monitor MTBF of Starry designed products and make recommendations to improve MTBF
- Support global manufacturing and integration footprint
- BS or MS degree in Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or like technical discipline with strong electronics background
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in Quality Assurance/Quality Engineering functions relating to Contract Manufacturing operations, machining, die casting, and coating..
- Experience with transferring products from design into manufacturing.
- Engineering knowledge in FMEA, SPC, Process Characterization, GR&R
- Knowledge of IPC610 guidelines
- Strong background in Manufacturing Engineering, Design for Manufacturability, and New Product Introduction
- Experience with analytical tools and methods, including statistics (Minitab preferred), DOE, and the use of computer software packages related to design, development and manufacturing.
- Highly self-directed and demonstrates an ability to lead teams without authority.
- Ability to travel approximately 15– 30% of time for supplier visits or business meetings (domestic and international).
Preferred Additional Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with working with Tier 1 EMS or CM
- Lean Manufacturing
- Six Sigma Black Belt
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.