Principal Wireless Communications Systems Architect
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
As Principal Wireless Communications Systems Architect, you will conceive and develop advanced wireless networking communication systems architectures for Starry’s broadband internet systems. You will guide the development as a technical leader, using analysis, simulation, optimization, prototyping, and experimentation, and execute the vision using outstanding written and oral skills. Starry combines its own proprietary millimeter wave broadband technology with standards and OTS based technologies to deliver an outstanding customer experience. Success in this position will require technical acumen and grace, plus the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
What you’ll do:
- Create and research novel wireless communications solutions to improve Starry’s customer experience
- Use simulators (NS3, homebrewed Python, etc.) to prove out your ideas, then prototype your designs in our systems lab or in field experiments
- Create and document architectures, product requirement documents, and system design documents
- In depth understanding of 802.11 (WiFi) based systems from hardware to software
- In depth understanding of 3GPP wireless infrastructure hardware and software architectures
- Master of Science in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science or other related disciplines, PhD preferred, equivalent experience or aptitude accepted
Bonus points if you…
- Have architected commercial wireless base stations and consumer devices
- Have a broad development background from ICs to service level experiences
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.