Principal Systems Software Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
What you'll do:
Using your knowledge of Linux, C, C++, and Rust, you will engineer elegant software-based solutions that will enable the flawless delivery of Starry’s Internet service to our customers. Along the way you will enjoy the opportunity to mentor junior engineers as well as play a significant role in defining the overall architecture and direction of Starry’s products.
Who we're looking for:
- You are a principal level engineer, hands-on technical lead, or a senior engineer looking for the next level up in your career with a BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent discipline/experience.
- You are an expert in C++ and / or Rust and have tackled embedded platform bring-up of physical hardware on Linux (DACs, ADCs, PHYs, SoC IP, PLLs, etc).
- You have successfully lead the development of large features and components from concept all the way through to deployment.
- You have at least seven years of software development experience which are a mix of low and high level software.
Bonus points if..
- You have a solid understanding of WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 (802.11ac / 802.11ax)
- You enjoy digging into murky software/hardware issues
- You creatively use software to make hardware exciting and meaningful
- You have in depth knowledge of general networking concepts and hands on experience debugging networking issues.
Double bonus points if..
- You possess a detailed understanding of millimeter wave and/or other RF technologies.
- You have a knack for debugging issues from hardware all the way up the stack.
- You are an active contributor to and / or are passionate about open source software.
- You are driven to learn new languages and technologies while having fun in a fast paced / fluid environment.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.