Senior Systems Software Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
What you'll do:
You will be writing embedded system software for Starry's mmWave radios and indoor wi-fi products. You will be leveraging your extensive command of Linux, C++, Rust, and Python to enable networking for Starry’s Internet Service. You will also be coaching novice to senior level engineers to achieve their goals within Starry. You will be guiding the team by shining example: using your skilled coding, and sharing your passion for modular, reusable code, clean APIs, Linux/ARM, and especially Networking!
Who we're looking for:
- You are proficient in either C++ or Rust or both, and have tackled embedded platform bring-up of physical device drivers (GbE+, SPI, PHYs) within Linux.
- You have at least five years software development experience, which can be a mix of embedded and high level software development.
- You have a BS or MS in Software, Computer, or Electrical engineering or equivalent discipline/experience.
Bonus points if..
- You have a solid understanding of WiFi 5 and WiFi 6 (802.11ac / 802.11ax)
- You enjoy digging into murky software/hardware issues
- You creatively use software to make hardware exciting and meaningful
Double bonus points if..
- Understanding of millimeter wave and/or other RF technologies
- Possess ability to debug from PHY Layer all the way up the Stack
- Active open source contributor
- A drive to learn new languages and technologies intertwining known software development principles
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.