Systems Software Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
What you'll do:
You will be writing embedded system software for Starry's mmWave radios and indoor wi-fi products. You will leverage software skills and enthusiasm to build challenging high performance devices. Starry is working on network communications equipment at the consumer and infrastructure level and the system software / firmware team that is part of it works on Linux system level software, communication control and configuration software and also some low level micro controller software.
Who we're looking for:
- You have experience with either C++, Python or Rust
- You are comfortable with the Linux operating system
- You have a willingness and desire to learn new technologies and dig deep to find out root causes of issues
- You have a BS or MS in Software, Computer, or Electrical engineering or equivalent discipline/experience.
Bonus points if..
- You enjoy digging into murky software/hardware issues
- You creatively use software to make hardware exciting and meaningful
Double bonus points if..
- Understanding of millimeter wave and/or other RF technologies
- Active open source contributor
- A drive to learn new languages and technologies intertwining known software development principles
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.