Principal Systems Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Starry’s Systems Engineering is a growing group of cross-disciplinary technical leaders. We deliver Starry’s delightful internet service directly to the customer through our innovative radio designs. We’re responsible for architecting Starry’s products and ensuring they meet design and manufacturing specifications, cost, and the high bar we set for reliable service to our customers. We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to drive architecture through delivery of Starry’s next generation millimeter-wave customer terminal radios. The ideal candidate will have experience designing consumer-grade WiFi, 5G, and / or mmWave radios, with a focus on developing innovative low cost architectures.
What you'll be doing:
- Architecting innovative, low-cost, next generation customer terminal mmWave radios
- Leading and mentoring a multidisciplinary engineering, ID, and manufacturing team through technical development from product concept to production
- Defining and enforcing product requirements by working with key stakeholders from the executive team, engineering, and network designers, operators, and install technicians
- Leveraging your diversity of technical knowledge to quickly analyze design tradeoffs and risks, driving efficient decision making across functional groups and external partners
- Writing and enforcing test specifications (e.g. manufacturing, FCC, reliability)
- Owning product cost throughout development
- Debugging and root-causing early field failures during product roll-out
- Experience delivering consumer hardware products to market
- Experience converting business and customer needs into product architectures and specifications, with a focus on analyzing cost and feature tradeoffs
- Experience evaluating and selecting critical system hardware components such as RFIC and digital chipsets
- Proficiency in millimeter-wave RF principles and subsystems, such as phased arrays, automatic gain control, and link budget contributors like EIRP, noise figure, and RX sensitivity
- The ability to communicate complex technical details in simple terms and derive action items for a multidisciplinary team
- Experience leading a multi-disciplined team of RF / electrical, mechanical, software, and manufacturing experts
- Advanced Engineering Degree (MS, PhD) in RF, Electrical, Systems, or related fields preferred
- Understanding of wireless communications protocols, e.g. 802.11ac/ax (Wi-Fi)
- Working knowledge of networking, Linux, and Python concepts
- Technical program management experience
- PCB or ASIC design and manufacturing experience
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.