Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
The Data team is responsible for maintaining our internal analytics platform used by many departments at Starry. We also process and produce geospatial datasets to drive business decision making. We're looking for a Data Engineer to join us as we continue to build out our data pipelines and overall data stack. If you’re excited to work on a fast-moving data engineering team with some of the best data tools out there, we want to meet you.
What you’ll do:
- Take ownership of data infrastructure we continue to leverage and integrate new data sources across the business
- Work with tools like Apache Airflow, Snowflake, and Postgres, including PostGIS
- Iterate on our data warehousing strategy as the volume of our data increases, optimizing for data availability and efficient use of resources
- Invent ways to help democratize access to and understanding of data across the company
- Design data architecture and patterns for analytics and data science
- Work with analytics team to adjust their data model as needed to improve the performance of reports and common queries
- Join a tightly knit data team and grow with the company
- You have built and operated data pipelines in production systems
- Strong background in database systems, like PostgreSQL
- Python and SQL mastery
- Experience with analytics databases like Snowflake
- Experience with batch ETL
- Experience with orchestration tools like Airflow
- Experience or a knowledge of streaming or near real time patterns
- Experience working with container frameworks like Docker
- Familiarity with GIS or Geospatial queries in PostGIS a plus
Starry values providing prospective employees with a fair chance to pursue opportunities. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of any applicable Fair Chance ordinance.
For Colorado residents: Salary range of $125,000 to $140,000. Final salary will be based on a variety of factors, including experience, education, and training.
Please note that the title referenced in this job description is intended to provide a representation of the work that will be done in this role and the actual internal job title for this role will be Data Engineer II or Senior Data Engineer. The final internal job title assigned will be based on a variety of factors, including without limitation, experience, education, and training.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.