Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we're looking for:
As a Subscriber Installer in the field, you’ll be the face of Starry Internet to customers. On a regular appointment, you’ll set them up for success with their new Starry Station router, provide “white glove service” to connect all their devices, and explain in human terms how our wireless broadband internet service works.
You’ll need to have strong time management, a knack for troubleshooting, and the ability to juggle multiple projects at once. In addition to being punctual, you are an engaging, approachable, and empathetic person. Our ideal candidate not only enjoys teaching someone how to use something new, but they’re energized by sharing their passion for groundbreaking technology. You should be versatile; able to interact with a range of personalities from building owners to tenants. This isn’t an office job, so we want someone who enjoys being on the move and interacting with people, not keyboards.
What you'll do:
- Be the point person for installation and activation of Starry Internet services for new customers
- Mount site equipment and have the ability and skill to do fiber cleaning, splicing, fiber optics testing, ethernet speed test, tone out wiring testing, etc. (It’s possible that you may not have all these skills at present, but you must be able to demonstrate a working ability in one or more of these areas with the aptitude to learn the other skills.)
- Connect a customer to the Starry Internet infrastructure using coax, phone lines, or ethernet
- Investigate and resolve device and network specific issues at point of installation: Think everything from helping get a wireless printer connected to making sure there’s no interruptions when streaming or gaming
- Act as a valued source of “on the ground” feedback from customers and be asked to report back and present your findings in order to improve our service and technology
- Log customer feedback and concerns to ensure the accurate tracking of satisfaction metrics
- Educate customers on how to operate the equipment after setup and installation to ensure their long-term success with the service
Experience and skills required:
- 1–3+ years of proven IT and/or field experience
- Experience installing and aiming radios
- Experience wiring 66 and 110 punch blocks
- Experience terminating coax, RJ11, and RJ45 cables
- Ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions and at different sites, including rooftops
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Past experience at an ISP or telecommunications company and paired with a constant desire to tear all the systems you used apart and build something better
- A+ Certification
- Tool sheds feel more like toy stores and you know your way around wiring and cabling
- You love new technology, Internet of Things, and have a veritable library of gizmos around your home
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.