Accounts Payable Lead
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
The AP Lead will be hands on with the full cycle Accounts Payable function, with a focus on ensuring transactions are accurately processed and reconciled to the Company’s general ledger. The primary responsibilities for this role are ensuring all AP transactions are posted accurately to the general ledger, assisting the AP Manager with ensuring key processes and controls are consistently met as the Company implements a Sarbanes-Oxley internal control framework, and working closely with a team of three accounts payable specialists. The successful candidate will have demonstrated success and familiarity with processing a high volume of AP transactions in a fast- paced public company environment, along with a strong knowledge of associated reconciliations including prepayments, accruals, bank and credit card reconciliations, and the importance of internal controls. The AP Lead needs to possess the ability to communicate with staff at all levels on a timely basis and maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for maintaining key reconciliation processes and partnering with the Accounting team to ensure transactions are accurately posted to the AP ledger, accruals, prepayments, bank and credit card accounts
- Responsible for leading weekly payment release meetings with executive management, and coordinating with AP Manager to prioritize business requests when necessary
- Assist with training and mentoring a team of three AP specialists
- Responsible for maintaining timely communication SLA’s with the business
- Review vendor invoices and check requests for accuracy, proper approval, and appropriate documentation prior to being posted to the accounting system
- Assist AP Manager with ensuring the accurate and timely execution of monthly AP close, and that key AP processes and controls are consistently performed and in compliance
- Identify further improvements to recently implemented AP system to streamline and further improve the AP process along with a control cadence suitable for a public company.
- Communicate professionally with both external vendors and Starry’s employees regarding invoice status and payment matters; perform necessary research and resolution of disputed items
- Assist with filing and organization of AP records and process audit requests
- At least 5 years of AP experience, with at least 2 years in a lead role
- At least 1 year as a staff accountant, or with posting journal entries/ reconciliations of GL accounts
- Thorough knowledge of accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts, and corporate procedures
- Solid understanding of internal controls as it relates to accounts payable
- Experience working in Accounts Payable for a public company
- Intermediate or advanced Excel skills
- Experience with NetSuite or Oracle preferred
- Must be extremely accurate and detailed oriented
- Ability to work independently and on a team with emphasis on accuracy and timelines
- Strong analytical skills, with proven ability to analyze processes and suggest/implement continuous improvements
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.