Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy Construction Manager who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. You will act as the face of Starry Internet Services to building owners and internet subscribers, and be responsible for driving our network infrastructure projects by leveraging your networking knowledge.
Reporting to the Market Operations Director, this role will provide continued support for the construction and deployment of Multi Dwelling Units (MDU’s) in support of building Starry network and internet services. The Construction Technician Lead will be responsible for the installation and delivery of assigned MDU projects and buildouts. This will include supporting new site development, site modifications and maintenance work through site design visits and pre-construction site prep; and ultimately the construction and turn up of sites.
This person will work with Project Management and Network Maintenance teams to establish achievable scheduling that meets goals as determined by the Market Operations Director.
What you’ll do:
- Manage & develop Starry’s VA Construction Crews and 3rd party vendors in performing construction duties on a daily basis, ensuring quality construction for commercial deployment of services, new site builds, site modifications/upgrades, and maintenance projects for Starry’s Vertical Asset Sites. The Construction Manager must have an expert level of understanding with all aspects of the Wireless Industry. The person in this position will be expected to maintain full control of their crews production and lead by example.
- As a Construction Manager supervising multiple crews, you will manage construction efforts of in-house and contract labor for new construction, maintenance, and rebuild projects: fiber/coax/Ethernet cables in-building applications as well as various aerial and rooftop applications to support Starry Internet services.
- The responsibilities include ensuring the safety and quality of work performed, identifying and removing roadblocks in the field, ordering and tracking of construction materials in the warehouse, managing crews workload ensuring timely completion in both a safe and quality manner, and achieving budgeted financial objectives. The Construction Manager will also develop an effective front line Leadership team (Construction Leads) and assist them with developing their direct reports so as to drive a high performance culture and environment.
- Lead the teams responsible for Installing wireless equipment using any combination of external and internal antennas, coaxial cable, fiber optic, and UTP cables on indoor and outdoor vertical structures
- Install various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Terminate wall and ceiling mounted components
- Complete Fiber and UTP Certification and testing
- Assist in proposal development and project preparation activities
- Complete job related documentation and record keeping
- Complete site surveys to troubleshoot and design corrective RF and RF/fiber optic installations for existing systems with inadequate coverage
- Assist in warehouse maintenance and inventory
- Keep customers and company informed of progress of installation
- Communicate and coordinate with customers and company regarding specific safety concerns, local code, and company installation requirements
- Assist with the development of project schedules and materials/subcontractor selections
- Mentor and lead team members, fostering a positive work environment
- Keep informed on and follow safety protocols, as warranted, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as well as OSHA safety standards
- BA/BS degree in a technical discipline or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years minimum experience in telecommunications construction management
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of outdoor and/or in-building installation experience in network engineering, deployment, fiber construction, wireless infrastructure, or telecom environment
- 5 years of experience in Outside Plant, Telephone, or Power engineering, and construction and experience with common wireless equipment including Fiber, Repeaters, Coaxial Cable, CAT 5 Cable, Antennas, Splitters, Fiber Cable, etc.
- A history of building field construction teams from the ground up
- Experience managing, tracking and communicating progress and performance to a management team
- A proven track record of accountability and driving timely completion of quality projects
- Ability to think creatively and progressively to both identify and implement changes to improve business results
- Knowledge of safe operation of vertical lift and truck mounted boom/vertical lift as well as demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects
- Installation of various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory,
- BICSI Certified Preferred
- Competent Tower Climber and Rescuer Certification. (does not need to be current, Starry will re-certify)
- EME/RF Training helpful
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must be able to regularly use ladders, hatches, steps, and other means to gain access to roofs on multiple story buildings
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly and as required
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- This position requires driving a Starry vehicle. You’ll need to have a valid driver’s license in the state of your residence and a safe driving record.
- You have prior experience holding yourself and your teams accountable for results and experience tracking and analyzing individual technician’s performance
- You hold PMP certification
- You have demonstrated excellent organizational / prioritizing skills, integrity and sound
- You have knowledge of installation and maintenance on copper or fiber technology
- You have experience in reading and interpreting engineering / construction designs
- You have knowledge of Safety Compliance Plans/OSHA
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.