Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking a Director of Permitting to join our growing team. You will be responsible for oversight of compliance mechanisms for federal/state/local infrastructure siting and permitting requirements and related construction licensing obligations across all markets, in coordination with Legal and senior management. You will also oversee maintenance of all related records and serve as the initial escalation point for permitting and construction licensing issues. The ideal candidate will offer the following abilities and knowledge, as demonstrated in employment history or other experience: experience with federal, state, and local requirements governing wireless infrastructure siting and permitting and the related construction codes; negotiating right-of-way access agreements; experience preparing and submitting permit packages; processing permits by interfacing with local governments; vendor management; securing requisite entitlements to allow network development; and an understanding of construction plans/drawings.
What you’ll do:
- Has primary responsibility in all aspects of submitting and acquiring entitlements and agreements needed for installation of Starry infrastructure, including zoning, permitting, environmental, leasing, and construction-related licensing.
- Provide support and subject matter expertise on permitting, zoning and construction-related issues, including problem resolution and process/program improvement.
- Represent Starry before local agencies and jurisdictional planning authorities and city councils.
- Research permitting, right-of-way access, utility, and construction-related issues and create/update guidelines and processes, and/or escalate as needed.
- Ensure compliance to related policies and processes.
- Work with in-house legal, outside counsel, governmental affairs, and other team members, coordinate efforts to streamline the zoning and permitting process with the jurisdictions and municipalities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Technology or related, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum [6 to 10+] years of professional work experience. Prior experience working in the wireless industry or wireless services/site acquisition, or in a Planning, Zoning, and Land Use capacity required, or equivalent in a comparable industry or relevant military experience required.
- Familiarity with and experience of the rules and policies of the federal Telecommunications Act, State statutes and local ordinances governing wireless telecommunications networks deployed in the public right of way.
- Experience working with engineering teams, preparation of permit applications and construction documents and network construction.
- Experience deploying distributed telecommunications network systems within the public way preferred.
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Experience in process and implementation management in a technology company
- Work on multiple projects/tasks simultaneously, including unplanned quick turnaround ad-hoc projects as needed
Bonus points if:
- Strong organization and time management skills to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and ability to work with and present to executives
- Enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks and learns quickly when facing new problems
- Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, experience, and judgment
- Proven team player establishes and maintains effective relationships with stakeholders and gains their trust as a knowledge resource
- Ability to work in a fast pace, dynamic organization going through transformation periods
- Willingness to work longer hours and/or weekends, when necessary, to meet established deadline
Salary Range: $170,000.00 - $195,000.00 , final pay is determined by skills and experience.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.