Principal Mechanical Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
What you'll do:
Starry is looking for a Principal Mechanical Engineer to work on our unique consumer facing products. As both an individual contributor and mechanical leader, our ideal candidate will take ownership of mechanical designs through the entire product lifecycle – concept, feasibility studies and tradeoff, detailed engineering development, verification testing phases (EVT, DVT, PVT), new product introduction, and production through end of life. Your challenge will be applying mechanical principles in an innovative and cost effective manner to meet RF electrical performance requirements. You should be proficient using 3-D Solid Modeling software (Solidworks) and have an understanding of manufacturing and testing practices.
- In a significantly hands-on manner, you will guide and define the mechanical system architecture and detailed development for new products
- While working closely with Industrial Designers, create elegant design solutions from concept through entire development life cycle to manufacturing
- You will efficiently deliver prototypes for immediate evaluation in our fast paced, startup environment
- We’re looking for someone to contribute their thoughts and feedback in a collaborative environment
- You will provide leadership, guidance and mentorship throughout the mechanical engineering team
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- You will lead system and detailed mechanical design of high volume consumer products for RF communications
- Conceive and productize complex low cost, weatherproofing techniques and thermal management strategies in a new consumer application
- Perform robust static and dynamic analysis of assemblies, tolerance analysis, and thermal analysis
- Provide guidance in precision machine part design, selecting coatings and platings
- Design and fabricate prototypes with internal and external fabrication resources
- Work closely with in-house Electrical, RF Engineers and Industrial Designers on highly complex RF projects
- Collaborate with supply chain and outside development and contract manufacturing partners
Experience and Education Required:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Masters preferred
- 11 or more years of relevant experience
- Prior experience should include machining, plastic injection molding, sheet metal, casting, rack, PCB fabrication and backplane/daughter PCB mechanical design, cable design knowledge, coatings and platings
- Basic Dimensioning and Tolerancing in accordance with ANSI Y14.5M including general understanding of tolerance build up and manufacturability
- Experience designing electronic packaging for outdoor & indoor applications
- Have experience with EMI, thermal, vibration & shock environments and design concepts as they relate to electronic packaging design
- Exposure to overseas vendor management including working with high volume manufacturing
- Proficient with Solidworks, thermal and structural analysis techniques
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.