Network Deployment Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we're looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy Network Engineer who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. You will act as the face of Starry Internet Services to vertical asset owners and will be responsible for driving our network infrastructure projects by leveraging your infrastructure construction and networking knowledge.
Reporting to the Network Technician Manager, this role will provide continued support for network engineering of both MDU and VA networks. The Network Deployment Engineer will be responsible for testing and qualifying new network products before being released for general deployments, recommending, documenting and training the Network Technician team members on existing and new network solutions.
What you'll do:
- Develop and document new product introduction (NPI) process for the Network Deployment Technician team
- Review, test and accept any new Starry and 3rd-party network equipment and firmware before being released for general deployment
- Participate in all First Office Application (FOA) initiatives
- Provide Back Office Support for MDU and VA turn ups
- Design and develop scripts and tools to automate configuration and data-gathering to simplify/streamline Network Tech duties
- Develop and deliver training curriculum and materials for Network Technicians
- Manage escalated deployment issues in collaborating with Network Ops Tier 2/3, document processes and resolutions to be shared with the Network Technician team members
- Provide technical mentorship and guidance to the Network Deployment Technicians
- Review network designs for MDU and VA sites and provide recommendations on design
- Create and review IDPs for MDU Hybrid and VA Beam Sites, develop ASR configuration and submit T3 ticket to Towardex
- Collaborate with Network Operations Tier 2 and Tier 3 to develop and review nationwide documentation, configuration templates and deployment policies
- Maintain scheduling of 3Z and technician test tools calibration
- 5+ years experience, ability to troubleshoot Level 1-3 network related issues
- Advanced knowledge and experience of network switching and routing
- Minimum of 1year of hands-on experience as a Network Technician in deploying, configuration and troubleshooting Starry MDU and VA sites
- Hands-on experience with configuring network switching and routing equipment, RF radios from Starry PMP, PTP radios from Siklu, Bridgewave, SIAE, Ignitenet (60Ghz PMP and PTP), Ubiquiti (5 Ghz Prism and PTP) and others.
- Complete knowledge of testing, turning up and certification of Starry VA sites
- Ability to effectively communicate with tech support from equipment manufacturers and Starry Network Operations and Engineering teams
- Managed conversion of MDU site to a Hybrid/VA site, including managing cutover of link from core switch to ASR
- Maintain Opengear, Radio & GAM (EOC) provisioning stations
- Managed and reviewed the Jarvis database - working with Jarvis Development Team to ensure system features are aligned with the Net Technician usage and responsibilities, correct inconsistencies, clean up old data
- This position requires driving a Starry vehicle. You’ll need to have a valid driver’s license in the state of your residence and a safe driving record.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.