Director, Technical Operations
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
What you'll do:
- Develop and lead a team of deployment and construction professionals to provision, construct, test, and commission network elements
- Provide a world-class experience for our customers: landlords, condominium boards and property managers and subscribers
- Hire, train and develop our in-house professionals to excel in their fields and constantly look for ways to improve performance
- Establish relationships with deployment partners (VA sites), negotiate contracts, and manage overall deployment costs & timelines
- Work with sales to quickly qualify and estimate costs in order to enable rapid service turn up
- Manage Market Operations to drive network planning, new site build, capacity management and ensure excellent service for our subscribers
- Provide hands-on management of the most complex projects: leading by personally taking on any difficult problems
- Responsible for 24/7 maintenance of the network
- Manage 24/7 field response team including scheduled maintenance and care of the network
- Responsible for ongoing network remediation projects, network planning and upgrades
- Mentor and coach of members of staff, setting goals and effective checkpoints
- Moderate physical activity to fulfill operational goals
- Additional duties as required
- BS/Eng in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related discipline, or equivalent work experience
- 10 years or more experience with an internet service provider or Telco, in a Market or Engineering leadership role
- Proven optimistic and enthusiastic leadership style
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Real passion for Starry’s business
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position such as bustling about, standing, bending, or sitting for the duration of the working day
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.