National Construction Manager, Vertical Assets
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a tech-savvy National Construction Manager, Vertical Assets (VA) who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. Reporting to the National Expansions Director, this role will provide continued support for the construction and deployment of VA (Towers and Rooftop), Multi Dwelling Units (MDU’s) in support of building Starry network and internet services. This will include supporting new site development, site modifications and maintenance work through site design visits and pre-construction site prep; and ultimately the construction and turn up of sites.
This person will work with Project Management and Network Engineering teams to establish achievable scheduling that meets goals as determined by the National Expansion Director.
What you’ll do:
- Manage and develop Starry’s VA Construction Crews and 3rd party vendors in performing construction duties on a daily basis, ensuring quality construction for commercial deployment of services, new site builds, site modifications/upgrades, and maintenance projects for Starry’s VA Sites.
- Possess an expert level of understanding with all aspects of the Wireless Industry. The person in this position will be expected to maintain full control of their crews production and lead by example.
- Manage construction efforts of in-house and contract labor for new construction, maintenance, and rebuild projects: fiber/coax/Ethernet cables in-building applications as well as various aerial and rooftop applications to support Starry Internet services.
- Identify and remove roadblocks in the field, order and track construction materials in the warehouse, manage
- crews workload ensuring timely completion in both a safe and quality manner, and achieving budgeted financial objectives.
- Develop an effective front line Leadership team (Construction Leads) and assist them with developing their direct reports so as to drive a high performance culture and environment.
- Lead the teams responsible for installing wireless equipment using any combination of external and internal antennas, coaxial cable, fiber optic, and UTP cables on indoor and outdoor vertical structures
- Install various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Terminate wall and ceiling mounted components
- Complete Fiber and UTP Certification and testing
- Complete job related documentation and record keeping
- Complete site surveys to troubleshoot and design corrective RF and RF/fiber optic installations for existing systems with inadequate coverage
- Able to work extended hours, rotational weekend coverage, and, on rare occasions, holidays, as needed, to support the build program and/or emergencies.
- Communicate and coordinate with customers and key stakeholders progress of installation regarding specific safety concerns, local code, and requirements
- Assist with the development of project schedules and materials/subcontractor selections
- Keep informed on and follow safety protocols, as warranted, including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as well as OSHA safety standards
- BA/BS degree in a technical discipline or equivalent practical experience
- Minimum of 5 years of outdoor and/or in-building installation experience in network engineering, deployment, fiber construction, wireless infrastructure, or telecom environment and experience with Repeaters, Coaxial Cable, CAT 5 Cable, Antennas, Splitters, Fiber Cable, etc.
- Experience managing, tracking and communicating progress and performance to a management team
- A proven track record of accountability and driving timely completion of quality projects
- A history of superior team building and leadership skills, holding your teams accountable for results and experience tracking and analyzing individual technician’s performance
- Excellent analytical and data-based decision-making skills - experience with Quality Assurance and Productivity Analysis of work managed
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory,
- Knowledge of and ability to operate Test Equipment a plus (i.e. RF sweep gear, OTDR, PIM and Fiber Testing).Certifications in each a plus.
- Experience with state & county/city licensing, building codes and standards (IBC & ABC)
- Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI),
- National Wireless Safety Alliance (NWSA) Certified
- Construction Supervisor Licenses (CSL)
- Competent Tower Climber and Rescuer Certification
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must be able to regularly use ladders, hatches, steps, and other means to gain access to roofs on multiple story buildings
- Must adhere to OSHA safety Compliance Plans and wear personal protective gear properly and as required
Starry values providing prospective employees with a fair chance to pursue opportunities. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of any applicable Fair Chance ordinance.
Salary Range: $115,000.00-130,000.00 (Final compensation based on skills and experience)
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.