Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is looking for a Tower Construction Technician who’d like to help us redefine how people access the internet. You will act as the face of Starry and work with the national team to assist with deployment needs, and be responsible for driving our network infrastructure projects by leveraging your networking knowledge.
Reporting to the Senior Construction Manager (CM) this role will provide continued support for the construction and deployment of Vertical Asset (Beam/Hybrid Serving sites) in new market build outs. You will be responsible for the installation and delivery of assigned Vertical Asset projects to include maintenance, quality control, upgrades & RF backhaul alignment.
What you'll do:
- Safely perform maintenance work and install equipment on wireless telecommunication sites (this includes, but is not limited to working on towers, rooftop, and ground-based sites installing, troubleshooting and maintaining antennas, base stations, cabinets, sector mounts, cable tray, ice bridge, COAX, fiber/power, GPS, etc)
- Perform RAN Wireless Site construction activities including assembling/erecting wall and ballast mounts and masts, mounting hardware, installing antennas, fiber, DC, CAT6 coax and connectors, grounding, testing, positioning, optimizing antennas and lines
- Troubleshoot telecommunication network issues (equipment issues, line/fiber issues, etc.) and resolve issues using a Site Master, PIM Tester, AAT (Antenna Alignment Tool), OTDR Fiber Tester, and other industry test equipment
- Must have computer knowledge and experience in completing internal and client COP deliverables (including, but not limited to job logs, field reports, and COP deliverables (pictures, sweeps, fiber tests, forms, etc.)
- Install structural steel reinforcements, tieback supports for backhaul radios & platform reinforcements
- Must be a leader capable of providing training, support and contribute hands-on in the field to subordinates and contractors as required
- Installation of infrastructure pathway for Fiber, DC, CAT6 between BTS & Antenna Mounts
- Read Plans, Site Plans, shop drawings and Tower Drawings
- Install, connect and test underground and above ground grounding systems both mechanical & exothermic weld systems
- Complete work in a timely and efficient manner by planning, prioritizing, and mobilizing staff, materials to meet schedule
- Identify all materials and other resources needed to complete the project.
- Identify construction "punch list" of items to be remedied and ensure they are completed prior to contractor completion
- Must have strong housekeeping skills (ability to maintain a company vehicle, issued test equipment and tools, jobs site housekeeping, etc.
- Ability to determine special equipment or machines required for job completion
- Maintain and enforce all Starry and OSHA safety practices, perform daily job-site safety inspections on equipment prior to operation
- Must be able to work overtime to include Saturdays, Sundays and evening hours.
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete all aspects of Starry’s training classes
- Must have a minimum of 3+ years of experience in performing outdoor and in-building installation, deployment and fiber construction of telecom networks, and wireless infrastructure
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with installing and weather proofing of conduits for Outside Plant, Telephone, and Power engineering systems
- 3+ years of experience with common wireless equipment including Fiber, Switches, Repeaters, Coaxial Cable, CAT 5 Cable, Antennas, Splitters, Fiber Cable, etc.
- Successfully complete Starry and TS&R Training
- Demonstrated ability to drive performance and execute against plans as well as complete installations independently in a professional manner at all job sites
- Knowledge of safe operation of vertical lift and truck mounted boom/vertical lift as well as demonstrated ability to use basic hand and power tools needed for installation projects
- Installation of various ground mounted equipment and power/meter cabinets/pedestals
- Working knowledge and understanding of wireless networks, including modulation techniques (UTMS, GSM, LTE Pathing plus etc.), amplifier/antenna/cable theory,
- Demonstrated ability to work well on a team
- Must be able to lift up to 80 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- Comfortable working at heights up to 350 feet
- Must be able to follow company, client, and governing body (OSHA, FAA, DOT, etc.) safety and operations policies and procedures
- Must have a minimum of 2 years continuous experience as a tower tech or RF tech
- Must be willing to climb and have the ability to be ComTrained
Bonus points for:
- NWSA TTT1 certification
- R56 training and Certification
- First Aid & CPR training
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.