Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we are looking for:
As a Mechanical Engineer, you work on our unique consumer facing products. As an individual contributor, you will take ownership of mechanical designs through the entire product life-cycle–concept, feasibility studies and tradeoff, engineering development, verification testing, new product introduction, production through end of life. Your challenge is to apply mechanical principles in an innovative manner to meet RF electrical performance requirements. The role requires proficiency using 3-D Solid Modeling software (Solidworks), an understanding of fabrication and electronics assembly manufacturing processes, and environmental testing practices.
What you'll be doing:
- Engineering, design and documentation of RF systems / electronic packaging for consumer and infrastructure products
- Collaborating with Senior Engineers on highly complex RF projects
- Create 3-D CAD modeling, layouts, PCB outline drawings and detailed / assembly drawings
- Build and test prototypes which carry through to production units
- Support product development teams from concept through production phases
- Conduct basic structural and thermal analysis, material and finish selection, with a desire to focus on analysis and design interaction.
- Source and procure custom fabricated products
- 1-2 years of mechanical engineering experience
- Prior experience should include machining, plastic injection molding, sheet metal, casting, rack, PCB fabrication and backplane / daughter PCB mechanical design. Basic cable design knowledge
- Basic Dimensioning and Tolerancing in accordance with ANSI Y14.5M including general understanding of tolerance build up and manufacturability
- Experience with EMI, thermal, vibration and shock environments and design concepts as they relate to electronic packaging design
- Proficient with Solidworks modeling and drawing creation
- Experience with 3D printing
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work on engineering projects in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.