Co-Op, Mechanical Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Our Spring 2023 Engineering Co-Op program lasts from Monday, January 9, 2023 to Friday, June 23, 2023 at our Boston, MA headquarters. As temporary full-time Starry employees, Co-Ops receive accrued vacation time in addition to paid holidays. Our Mechanical Engineering Co-Ops continue to be onsite at our headquarters with COVID-19 precautions in place.
Location: Candidates must be able to be onsite full-time in our Boston, MA headquarters. We also offer a monthly housing stipend for candidates from outside the Boston metropolitan area (100 Miles), so we encourage students from all over the US to apply!
Position Overview: This role will support design, assembly, and test activities in an environment that encourages personal growth in a context of expanding company capabilities and challenges. Starry is working on communications equipment (some consumer but mainly capital equipment) where there is a great blend of electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. The role will be design intensive with plenty of learning opportunities. The opportunity to take on design, analysis, prototype and test responsibilities is only limited by the co-op's curiosity level.
- Solidworks: Students should have a solid working knowledge of the program. We're looking for someone who can start to add value - at least on relatively simple models and assemblies - on day one.
- Drawings: Integral to Solidworks, but its own category as it is a critical component of our needs. Candidate should have at least some prior experience with drawings. A basic understanding of tolerance stackup and analysis is also desirable.
- Fabrication: Students should have familiarity with fabrication methodologies such as machining, casting and sheet metal forming along with general material properties. Also, previous experience with design for in-house 3-D printing is a plus. Must have the ability to support fabrication and assembly of parts, in labs and in the field.
- Flexibility, Adaptability: We are a startup and that means that whatever tasks are at hand are the ones that need to be done, sometimes outside our native discipline.
- Eagerness: This is a small enterprise packed with intelligent, motivated people - the opportunities to learn both in ME execution and also in parallel areas - Firmware, Software, EE, Product Development, Marketing, etc. are immense. Hopefully, a successful coop will be eager to soak it all up.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.