Network Deployment Technician
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
We’re looking for a Network Delivery Technician to be a member of our Network Delivery team that is responsible for configuring, deploying, monitoring and maintaining Starry’s cutting edge wireless network. You will work closely with other Delivery team members as well as supporting the Network Deployment and Field Maintenance teams for both new and existing deployments. The ideal candidate will have solid experience with layers 1-3 of the standard OSI model as well as point-to-point (PTP) and point-to-multipoint (PMP) Radio Frequency (RF) experience. You will work with switches, routers, network management systems, wireless radios, and other IP network devices. A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, and you'll be willing to work off-hours and participate in occasional field deployments that are off-site. The selected candidate will be self-motivated, able to analyze and address complex situations and work well both independently and within a team environment.
What you'll do:
- Perform initial configuration of a variety of network infrastructure (wired and wireless) in preparation for their deployment to customer sites.
- Coordinate with both Network Assurance and Network Deployment teams to finalize installations and get buildings on-net.
- Work with multiple back-end network monitoring and ticketing systems for initial installations and ongoing monitoring.
- Support the Field Maintenance team to ensure ongoing network performance and quick resolution to service impacting issues.
- Assist in the overall design of the local market network
- 2-4 years of networking experience with solid understanding of OSI layers 1-3
- Familiarity with a variety of low-voltage/data infrastructure systems including:
- All copper wiring (Coax, Twisted Pair, Ethernet)
- Fiber optic installation and troubleshooting (light levels, SFP performance)
- General familiarity with RF models and experience with radio configuration
- Experience with network ticketing and monitoring software/systems
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly and occasionally perform basic field work (configuration/troubleshooting)
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly and as required
- Previous experience installing and aiming microwave PTP and PTMP links
- Knowledge in micro/millimeter wave RF area (LOS, Fresnel zones, interference, main/side lobes)
- Knowledge of DC power systems
- Networking certifications; CCNA or Network +
- Working knowledge of basic hand/power tools
- Previous experience assembling networking racks and/or cabinets
- Familiarity with Network Operations Center (NOC) practices, procedures and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.