Communications Research Software Engineer
Starry is a rapidly growing internet service provider and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity workplace. Just like the internet service we provide, we do not discriminate. We welcome people from all over the world to share their knowledge and perspectives. At Starry, you can discover the many careers and opportunities that are made possible when you connect people to the limitless possibilities of the internet.
Our mission focuses on two things. First, we’re making the experience of accessing the internet simple, transparent, and delightful. Second, we’re bringing that experience to underserved communities around the world. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, customer service designed to delight, and a culture of innovation and intellectual curiosity.
Who we’re looking for:
We are looking for a software engineer for Starry’s advanced research & development group, responsible for inventing the next generation of Starry infrastructure products. The successful individual will contribute to projects focused on improving Starry’s customer-provided internet service. This work will include implementing and testing advanced techniques for improving internet service infrastructure, which includes millimeter wave broadband technology, fiber optic, and a variety of other technologies. Additionally, the successful individual will be working with and learning from a varied group of experts both within R&D and across the company, while making tangible contributions to the company's success. Success in this position requires technical acumen, drive, inquisitiveness, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
What you’ll do:
- Your work will focus on writing embedded system software for Starry's mmWave radios and other custom Networking hardware
- In this role you will have the opportunity to build a solid and varied skill set across many domains including but not limited to: signal processing, embedded Linux & the Linux networking stack, Rust (including Rust in the Linux kernel!), and developing software for custom hardware.
- Proficiency in writing C or Rust (or both) for networking / socket programming.
- Software development experience, which can be a mix of embedded and high level software development.
- BS in Software, Computer, or Electrical engineering or equivalent discipline/experience for which sufficient coding experience can be demonstrated.
- Experienced Rust developer, or are interested in becoming a Rust expert
- Experience working with embedded Linux platforms
- A solid understanding of IEEE 802.11
- Enthusiasm for meaningful and interesting project work, and ability to self-direct
- Experience working on device bring up / kernel code for embedded Linux platforms (ARM/aarch64 specifically)
- Understanding of millimeter wave and/or other RF technologies
- Ability to debug from PHY Layer all the way up the Stack
- Active open source contributor
- Interest in working on an R&D team responsible for building next generation products to provide fast and affordable Internet service.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way.
- 100% employer-paid low deductible health plan, dental plan, vision plan, AD&D, and life insurance and access to our 401(k) retirement plan
- Equity compensation grant - so all employees have a stake in our continued success
- 12 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents after six months of continuous employment
- Professional development assistance after six months of employment
- Catered meals on a weekly basis for employees working in the office
- Casual dress, annual fitness reimbursement, stocked kitchen, and other perks and discounts
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Starry does not sponsor applicants for employment visa status.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.