Site Solutions Engineer
Starry designs, builds, and operates wireless and wired networks for single-family units, multi-dwelling units (MDU) and enterprises. Starry prides itself in managing the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user: from the in-house designed Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router, to custom networking equipment which allows delivery of gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to a Starry designed point to multipoint wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to residential dwellings. Starry is seeking a detail-oriented Solutions Engineer for Network Deployment. In this position, you will support the Network Deployment Team by performing site walks to determine the appropriate system design for customer properties, and articulating the same in the form of detailed design documents and specifications for Starry Construction Managers and our network of third-party contractors to follow. A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, but our ideal candidate is willing to participate in field deployments that are often off-site and at times off-hours. This position is based in Washington, D.C. metro area.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Provide the initial technical product overview to new customer accounts, and assist in the production of RFPs and other proposals to customers
- Identify technical requirements, then design and implement Starry’s system to fit the customer’s property
- Lead pre-sales design activities, including site walks, to determine a customer-approved location for Starry system hardware and cabling, and to determine how existing wiring in the building may be incorporated into the design plan
- Provide expert guidance on Starry system design concepts, including physical network design and key RF considerations
- Strong competency in generating solution documentation for both internal stakeholders and clients: often in the form of network implementation plans, physical network designs, slides, documents, and spreadsheets
- Ensure the feasibility of your proposed solution with our Deployment and Engineering teams
- You’ll be the primary point of contact to resolve technical design issues from customers (internal and external) during and after installations
- Provide hands-on management of the most complex projects: leading by personally taking on any difficult problems
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, you'll also develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
Experience and Education Required:
- BS in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years in a technical solutions role
- Expert knowledge of building cabling infrastructure, especially consumer buildings
- Extensive building survey experience. Determine cable routes, power feeds
- Expert knowledge of Cat 5/6, coaxial, fiber distribution plants
- Customer facing, enjoys interacting with customers to develop solutions
- Experience with high-tech products and solutions-based sales methods
- Established organizational and time management skills and regimen
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Experience with networking and routing - CCNP or equivalent experience a plus!
- Our ideal candidate will have a strong bias for action, and sense of pace and urgency; you’ll ensure work is completed within expected timelines
- A proven track record delivering on or exceeding goals is desired
- You’ll be highly motivated, extremely organized, team-oriented, creative, and possess outstanding communication skills
- Real passion for Starry’s business
- Ability to meet physical requirements of the position such as bustling about, standing, bending, or sitting for the duration of your shift
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Understanding of microwave radio deployment, preferred
- Understanding of Line of Sight tools
- OSHA trained and certified
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.