Network Deployment Technician
About Starry's Technology:
Starry is inventing a cohesive system that brings the Internet to your home and distributes it throughout your home -- all wirelessly. We have been deploying wireless Internet systems in Boston for over a year, and we are now expanding to new cities. We are constantly developing new products and working to optimize the performance and reliability of our existing technology.
Starry designs, builds, and operates wireless and wired broadband networks for single-family units, multi-dwelling units (MDU) and enterprises. Starry prides itself in handling the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user: from the consumer friendly Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router which was designed in-house, to custom networking equipment allowing us to deliver gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to custom in-house designed point to multi-point wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to a residential dwelling.
We’re looking for a Network Deployment Technician to work on team and solo missions to support the Network Deployment team by racking, stacking, and cabling networking cabinets; pulling, terminating, and testing copper and fiber optic cables; configuring and provisioning proprietary and off-the-shelf wireless PTP and PTMP radios; and fixing network performance issues. You will work with switches, routers, network management systems, wireless radios, and other IP network devices. A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, but you'll be willing to participate in field deployments that are often off-site and occasionally off-hours. This position will be based in New York City but willing to travel, approximately 20%.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Participate in design sessions with Engineering and Deployment QA to develop an understanding for how we approach the design process, how to read design documents, how to cable a customer property MDF cabinet, and how to configure and provision various network components
- Configure routers, switches, NUCs, wireless radios, and other IP network devices in preparation for their deployment to customer sites
- Responsible for network equipment cabling, pulling and terminating CAT & fiber cables, wire and system testing, repair, and service maintenance
- Track, prioritize, and handle technical activities and landmarks from start of build to customer-ready
- Troubleshoot and correlate event/alarm events and resolve trouble tickets
- Produce positive results in high-pressure situations
- Some work shifts outside of normal business hours, performing tasks that can only be accomplished outside business hours and address any new issues that may arise
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
Who You Are:
- You have either a Bachelor's, Technical Institute degree or certificate in Computer Science, Network Management, Information Systems, or other related field or work experience
- 2-4 years of experience as a network technician, preferably in the field
- Proficient knowledge of the installation of internet broadband, including installation and testing of Cat-3/5/5E/6/6A cables, fiber, fiber connectors, patch panels, rack equipment, 110 and 66 blocks
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- You possess a basic knowledge of network topology and TCP/IP
- Experience with networking and routing - CCNP or equivalent experience a plus!
- Proven and strong competency in diligently updating as-built documentation for internal partners: often in the form of network implementation plans, physical network designs, documents, and spreadsheets
- You will have a noted bias for action, and sense of pace and urgency; you’ll ensure work is completed within expected timelines and is appropriately documented in a project management tool
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, and work outdoors in extreme weather
- Must adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear properly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
- You’ll have a real passion for Starry’s business
Starry works hard, so we take care of each other and enjoy ourselves along the way. Check out some of the benefits you’ll enjoy if you join the team:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered lunches every Monday & drinks on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.