Starry Expert - Network Operations
We love coming up with huge ideas and figuring out ways to bring them to life. Our team spans RF engineering, hardware architecture, firmware, UX, UI, software, industrial design, marketing, branding, and communications. And one thing we all share is an intense desire to make something beautiful. Something that makes a real dent.
This position is full time and work from home; however, you must be based in one of the following areas: California, Massachusetts, New York state, or Washington D.C. As a Tier II Network Operations Expert, you’ll be responsible for ensuring our national network standards are adhered to and serve as the primary point of contact for internal stakeholders during network related events.
Who You Are:
- You work quickly, independently, and with great attention to detail.
- You are committed to providing a consistently high level of support, going above and beyond in each interaction you have with a Starry customer or internal stakeholder because you care deeply about representing our brand and team.
- You have a high degree of personal tact and the ability to synthesize complex technical scenarios to a distributed team of Engineers and Field Technicians.
- You have expert knowledge of hardware, routing, switching, networking and extensive knowledge of application and OS support.
What You'll Do:
- Participate in the on-call rotation of the Starry network, serving as first point of contact for any network related event and ensuring each event is brought to resolution and any appropriate remedial work is scheduled and completed
- Serve as primary point of contact for internal teams on complex/escalated technical issues related to the Starry network
- Work closely with Field Operations, Deployment, and QA Teams to validate recent construction is up to Starry standards and ensure all connections in our network follow specific guidelines for monitoring before customers go live
- Monitor network infrastructure and resolve and/or escalate events in real time
- Identify issues in the network from automated reporting that impact as little as one customer, and own the fix process end-to-end
- Remotely support teams in the field during bring up and maintenance of equipment
- Maintain schedule of outstanding, ongoing, and upcoming internal and external maintenance
- Ensure network monitoring software is always up to date with recent additions to the Starry Network (configuring, adding new devices, etc)
- 2+ years of help desk or troubleshooting customer service experience working with hardware, complex technical services, or for a SaaS company
- Proven IT experience (on your own or professionally) in managing home or professional networks and related devices, tools, and processes
- Strong people and project management skills
- Basic Linux system knowledge
- Configuration and troubleshooting of Cisco and Cisco-like devices
- Ability to work from home in a quiet, dedicated space as well as occasional travel to our downtown Boston office
Bonus Points if…
- You've worked at an Internet Service Provider and constantly wanted to tear all the systems you used apart and build something better. Specifically, you have experience working in a NOC or other network support related role.
- You're as comfortable working in a terminal as you are in a GUI.
- You write scripts to handle repetitive tasks (or you have a desire to learn how!).
- You've used ticketing, issue tracking, and project tracking softwares such as Zendesk and Jira.
- You love new technology, IoT, and have a large library of devices in your home.
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & cocktails on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, spirits, and snacks always on hand
- Groups for travel, music, skiing, biking, running, climbing, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.