Senior Subscriber Service Manager
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven. We value each other’s contributions and we don’t hire jerks.
Who we’re looking for:
Starry is seeking a Senior Subscriber Service Manager to manage post-deployment network operations in a large metropolitan environment. Proven experience overseeing a large Technical Operations team is desired. In this role, you must not only be a great people leader, but you must have a demonstrated knowledge in successfully managing an Internet network.
What you’ll do:
- You will have responsibility for managing all aspects of the network post implementation – i.e., day-to-day oversight for a customer support staff who physically connect new customers in their dwellings and provide customer training at installation
- You will establish and oversee a reliable, cost effective approach to manage field technicians who perform installs, service calls, and customer training
- You will establish and oversee a reliable, cost effective approach to manage plant maintenance staff who will ensure the backbone network is being serviced and repaired timely (plant maintenance of – Sheilds, T-Castles/Tridents, and backbone routers)
- You will have the benefit of bringing up internal staff to establish processes and procedures for network operations in the first year, but you will also have a forward looking plan that also includes contractors as we scale in the coming months and years.
- You will work closely with the Director of Deployment to ensure a seamless hand-off process is established from implementation to ongoing operations.
- You will have a demonstrated experience working with field employees; including, vehicle management, vehicle materials stocking, customer premise equipment inventory management, and quality control
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field and/or equivalent experience
- Prior experience with managing day-to-day Internet Operations in a large metropolitan environment, especially Washington, DC metro is preferred
- Demonstrated successful people management
- Demonstrated technical leader with switches, Internet, and customer equipment
- Ability to communicate equally well with field technicians, senior management, property owners, and customers
- Understanding of telecommunications work environments, including a thorough understanding of the local building permitting processes and compliance with national and local electrical codes as it pertains to Starry’s business
- Hands-on experience with in all aspects of building wiring, including fiber
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Proven team player
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs regularly, respond quickly to avoid or mitigate potentially dangerous situations, move safely over uneven terrain, safely climb ladders while carrying up to 40 lbs, work in extreme weather, and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to adhere to OSHA safety guidelines and wear personal protective gear correctly
- Must be able to bustle about, bend, squat, or stand for prolonged periods of time
Additional beneficial experience may include:
- Understanding of RF propagation theory and model tuning of the radio planning tool, ideally across a number of the following frequencies - 80GHz, 60GHz, 37 - 40GHz, 23GHz, and 18GHz
- Expertise with RF planning tools (Siradel, Atoll, Planet, or IBwave) and GIS tools (MapInfo or ArcView)
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We offer:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.