RF Electrical Engineer, Circuit Board Design
About Starry and the RF team:
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture. Our RF team works on the circuit boards and system architectures that drive our wireless internet services. This includes system architecture, circuit design, PCB design, debugging, and manufacturing and test support.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
Quick: whip smart and able to pick up knowledge on-the-go, you enjoy the challenge of complex problems and you’re eager to learn new technologies
Autonomous: self motivated and able to work with the typical ambiguity of an early-stage company
Personable: fun loving yet comfortable with both asking for help and giving it when needed
Analytical: able to back your ideas and suggestions with sound data and math
Well rounded: both team based and solo projects are in your wheelhouse, you enjoy working with other departments to come up with creative solutions to hard problems
What you’ll do:
- Design Starry’s mmWave radios!
- Define system requirements, choose parts, make schematics, design the PCBs, then take your designs through to production
- Work closely with cross functional teams (mechanical, electrical, antenna, thermal, firmware, manufacturing engineers, and field technicians) to analyze system tradeoffs and deliver great products
- Validate hardware during prototype, EVT, and DVT stages in benchtop and system-level tests
- BS or MS in Electrical engineering or equivalent discipline/experience
- Comfort with designing circuit boards with RF components
- Experience using Altium for board design
- Familiarity with RF simulation tools (Keysight ADS, Genesys, CST, HFSS, AWR)
- Familiarity with Spectrum Analyzers and Network Analyzers
- Four or more years at a product based company
Extra points if:
- You have experience with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac standards and protocols
- You have an understanding of millimeter wave and/or other RF technologies such as wifi MIMO bluetooth 802.15.4 LTE GPS ISM, 20-80 GHz, consumer products, infrastructure equipment and base stations, microwave radios, satellite communications, automotive radars, or anything similar
- You have familiarity using op-amps and transistors
- You understand a Smith chart and S-parameters
- You have experience designing any of the following: converters, synthesizers, powers amps, LNA’s, oscillators, mixers, PLL’s, VCO’s, antennas, ADC’s, power supplies, cascade analysis, low cost, or low power electronics
- You’ve worked on boards that have microcontrollers or FPGAs on them.
- You’ve designed filters using both microstrip and lumped elements
- You have experience making boards with RF laminates, but not afraid to use FR4 at higher frequencies than you should.
- You’d rather automate testing with a raspberry pi, linux, and python than do the same test over and over again manually
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- Flexible paid time off program for
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday
- Wine, beer, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.