Construction Manager, Los Angeles
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
As a Deployment Construction Manager, supervising a team of 15+, you will manage construction efforts of in-house and contract labor for new construction, maintenance and rebuild projects: fiber/ethernet cable in-building applications as well as various aerial and rooftop applications to support Starry Internet services. The responsibilities include ensuring the safety and quality of work performed, identifying and removing roadblocks in the field, managing program workload ensuring timely completion in both a safe and quality manner, and achieving budgeted financial objectives. The Deployment Construction Manager will also develop an effective front line Leadership team and assist them with developing their direct reports so as to drive a high performance culture and environment. Candidate must be willing and able to work extended hours, rotational weekend coverage, and, on rare occasions, holidays, as needed, to support the build program and/or emergencies. The position also requires administering processes and policies as they relate to: safety, attendance, performance, work rules and our code of conduct.
- BA/BS degree in a technical discipline with equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years minimum experience in telecommunications construction management
- A history of building field construction teams from the ground up
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience managing, tracking and communicating progress and performance to a management team
- A proven track record of accountability and driving timely completion of quality projects
- A history of superior team building and leadership skills
- Ability to think creatively and progressively to both identify and implement changes to improve business results
- Excellent analytical and data-based decision-making skills - experience with Quality Assurance and Productivity Analysis of work managed
Bonus points if..
- You have prior experience holding yourself and your teams accountable for results and experience tracking and analyzing of individual technician’s performance
- You hold PMP certification
- You have demonstrated excellent organizational / prioritizing skills, integrity and sound judgment
- You have the ability to communicate effectively with employees from diverse backgrounds in order to motivate and engage a team to achieve results, as well as work effectively across organizations
- You have knowledge of installation and maintenance on copper or fiber technology
- You have experience in reading and interpreting engineering / construction designs
- You have knowledge of employment/labor laws
- You have the ability to interpret labor contracts/collective bargaining agreements
- You have knowledge of Safety Compliance Plans/OSHA
- You have passionate feelings about Starry and our mission
- You have outstanding shuffleboard skills
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & cocktails on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, spirits, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.