Field Deployment Quality Engineer
About Starry’s technology:
Starry is inventing a cohesive system that brings the Internet to your home and distributes it throughout your home -- all wirelessly. We have been selling consumer Wifi products for over a year and we are beginning to deploy wireless Internet systems in Boston with other cities following shortly. We are constantly developing new products and working to optimize the performance and reliability of our existing technology.
Starry is seeking a Field QA Engineer for Network Deployment. In this position, you will support the Network Deployment Team by performing site walks to audit construction installations for Starry design and building code compliance. The job involves integration testing, end-to-end verification testing and troubleshooting to ensure the network is operating at the “Starry” level of Quality of Service. A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, but our ideal candidate is willing to participate in field deployments that are often off-site and at times off-hours. Moderate physical activity will be required to fulfill our operational goals: think bending, squatting, bustling about, and lifting up to 40 pounds. This position will be based in Boston with the possibility of domestic travel.
Quick: whip smart and able to pick up knowledge on-the-go
Autonomous: self-motivated and able to deal with the ambiguity typical of an early-stage company
Detail oriented: has an eye for spotting irregularities and notices “the little things”
Hyper Organized: multitasking and time management come naturally
Creative: energized by new problems to solve, always coming up with new ideas and looking for ways to implement them
What you’ll be doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of our overall technology portfolio
- Review site design documentation and installation drawings
- Work with third party contractors to address issues and defects found during the construction phase
- Review and confirm contractor sign off sheets
- Inspect site installations to confirm conformation to SOWs and As-Builts
- Check that installation has been completed and is functional
- Work with project managers to identify improvements: generally around build design, documentation, and methodology
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, you'll also develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
- BS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience in a hands-on technical role
- Experience with RF, networking and electrical cabling systems
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Having a track record of delivering on or exceeding goals
Bonus Points If..
- You have experience with Python
- Real passion for Starry’s business
- Outstanding shuffleboard skills are a plus
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & cocktails on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, spirits, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.