General Manager, Washington DC
Starry is reinventing how people connect to the internet. Our mission focuses on two things — first, on being an internet service provider committed to simplicity, transparency, and delight, and second, on providing high-speed internet to underserved communities both locally, nationally and globally. We approach our mission with a cutting-edge wireless technology, user experience designed to delight, and a diverse and intellectually curious company culture.
Why you'll love working here:
Starry is a fast-growing company, with incredible ambition to build new markets, and new products and services. At Starry, autonomy and creativity are rewarded; you’ll have control of your own time and the opportunity to develop your ideas and initiatives. Our team is tightly-knit, highly collaborative, and very driven.
What you’ll do:
As General Manager, Washington DC, you will launch, manage and build Starry Internet in Washington. You will be responsible for all local operational aspects of the business - including design, construction, installation, marketing, sales and customer care. You will work at leveraging our company values in our new market and drive growth for Starry Internet. Our ideal candidate will build a culturally aligned top-notch team from the ground up - including field engineering, field deployment, sales, marketing and field support teams.
You will be responsible for setting up operational structures and systems to manage the business - from budgeting through to materials sourcing. You will have the P&L responsibility of the business in Washington.
You will work with our other teams to take on Washington and build out Starry Internet. You will leverage established playbooks and also create new ones. Our ideal candidate will have their finger on the pulse of Starry’s culture and values and be able to propagate them. You’ll work to initiate a sales program which will drive our MDU partnership growth and Starry Internet’s installation and roll out. You’ll also build demand generation programs and drive subscriber acquisition growth for Washington. In this position, you will set up a field office for all Operational resources including field staff, installation materials and Starry hardware.
As General Manager, you will lead the management of key business partnerships with vendors, municipal and city government stakeholders, and deployment contractors as well as Starry’s building and property management partners.
- MS/MBA or BA/BS degree with equivalent practical experience
- 10 years minimum experience in general management and operations
- A history of building new markets from the ground up and managing P&L
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience managing, tracking and communicating progress and performance to a HQ team
- A proven track record of driving growth for a service business
- A history of superior team building and leadership skills
- Excellent analytical and data-based decision-making skills
Bonus points if..
- You have prior experience working with cable or mobile consumer businesses
- You hold PMP certification
- You have passionate feelings about Starry and our mission
- You have outstanding shuffleboard skills
We work hard, so we take care of our team members and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Life insurance and short & long term disability insurances with no employee contribution required
- Catered lunches every Monday & cocktails on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, spirits, and snacks always on hand
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.