Lead Field Network Engineer, Maintenance (Washington, DC)
Starry designs, builds, and operates wireless and wired broadband networks for single-family units, multi-dwelling units (MDU) and enterprises. Starry prides itself in managing the entire customer experience for internet delivery to the end user: from the consumer friendly Starry Station Dual Band 802.11ac router which was designed in-house, to custom networking equipment allowing us to deliver gigabit speeds over existing in-home cabling, to in-house designed point to multipoint wireless system for the last-mile delivery of gigabit capable wireless from a pre-5G system to a residential dwelling.
We’re looking for a Team Lead for our Field Network Engineers who work with and support the Field Maintenance team in configuring, deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining Starry networking systems installed in the Boston metro area. You will be leader and mentor to a team of engineers that maintain and handle our network operations and disaster recovery program ensuring our service outages are minimized and within Starry MTTR / SLAs.
A typical day can sometimes be physically demanding, but our ideal candidate is willing to participate in field maintenance that is often off-site and occasionally off-hours. This position will be based in Boston but willing to travel, approximately 20%.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Establish and maintain a deep understanding of the overall Starry technology portfolio
- Participate in design sessions with Engineering and Deployment QA to develop an understanding for how we approach the design process, how to read design documents, how to properly cable and configure MDF/IDF cabinets and equipment deployed at Starry locations.
- Serve as point of escalation and Team Lead for our Field Engineers
- In field troubleshooting, replacement, and configuration of the full suite of devices deployed across the Starry Network
- Responsible for creating, updating, and auditing as built documentation
- Leading the coordination and active participation with internal teams as well as outside vendors during maintenance activities (Riggers, Tower Climbers, Electricians, etc.)
- Schedule and Perform planned and preventive maintenance activities in all Starry Network markets in accordance to PMCS Schedule
- Responsible for the creation, escalation, and resolution of maintenance tickets
- Produce positive results in high-pressure situations
- Some work shifts outside of normal business hours, performing tasks that can only be accomplished outside business hours and address any new issues that may arise
- Beyond day-to-day responsibilities, develop creative approaches to keep operational costs low and improve the efficiency of our approach to infrastructure deployment
- Assist in the leadership of the Field Maintenance team by ensuring adherence to work and on-call schedules
- Monitor supply levels to maintain an accurate inventory of stock and communicate needs to warehouse
Experience and Education Required:
- Either a Bachelor's, Technical Institute degree or certificate in Computer Science, Network Management, Information Systems, or other related field or equivalent work experience
- 4-6 years of experience as a network technician, preferably in the field
- Proven leadership experience and the ability to build and manage a team
- Proficient knowledge of the installation of internet broadband, including installation and testing of Cat-3/5/5E/6/6A cables, fiber, fiber connectors, patch panels, rack equipment, 110 and 66 blocks
- Experience in the development and implementation of one or more of the following: data and IP services (VoIP, MPLS, VPN, Internet, data center deployments) or managed network services (LAN, WAN, WLAN)
- Possess a basic knowledge of network topology and TCP/IP
- Experience with networking and routing - CCNA or equivalent experience
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Demonstrated and strong competency in diligently updating as-built documentation for internal stakeholders: often in the form of network implementation plans, physical network designs, documents, and spreadsheets
- Moderate physical activity to fulfill operational goals; you MUST be able to lift 40 pounds, also bend, squat, stand for prolonged periods
- Exposure to the challenges of the job such as building heights, inclement weather, power lines, etc. is a constant; you must be comfortable in these situations
Bonus points if..
- You have a noted bias for action, and sense of pace and urgency; you’ll ensure work is completed within expected timelines and is appropriately documented in a project management tool
- You have a real passion for Starry’s business
- Outstanding shuffleboard skills are also a plus
Starry works hard, so we take care of each other and enjoy ourselves along the way. Check out some of the benefits you’ll enjoy if you join the team:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & cocktails on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, spirits, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.