Network Operations Engineer
Starry is looking for it’s first ever Network Operations Engineer. Our ideal candidate will be expected to perform high quality network operations, apply best practices, optimization, internal/external customer interactions, and produce appropriate technical documentation. You will demonstrate sound knowledge of networking concepts and theory, and have experience participating in network support for a large-scale enterprise or service provider environment. You will have a proven track record of success in driving complex issues to resolution autonomously and/or collaboratively. A love for working with new technologies and pushing the envelope on existing technology is required.
What You’ll Do:
- Support and Maintain internal and public networks by providing critical network operations support to diagnose, mitigate impact, and resolve networking issues
- Troubleshoot network routing, interconnectivity, platforms, performance, and configurations issues; including necessary low level application interaction, Unix systems, and new age networking software tools
- Work closely with our Engineering teams to assist with operations and sustaining of networking software tools
- Collaborate with higher tier escalation engineers/resolvers
- Create and review documentation and process regarding recurring issues, new standard operating procedures, knowledge transfer material, etc.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a network focused hands-on technical role working with IP routing protocols/technologies and platforms in large scale data center and/or WAN network environments
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking, IP routing, Network Security architecture and core technologies such as IPv4 / IPv6, TCP / UDP / ICMP, OSPF / IS-IS, BGP, MPLS, Firewalls, ACLs, DNS, DHCP, IPAM, LDAP, NFS, etc.
- Experience in a technical on-call capacity, responding to customer impacting events, mitigating and root cause analysis of those events
- Must be comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment
- Possess Scripting skills or have desire to learn them; specifically Python, Perl, or Shell (bash, ksh, csh)
- Self driven, detail oriented, excellent analytical skills, a strong team player who works well with immediate and extended team, and consistently puts the team above oneself
- Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision, and keep up with a fast moving environment via effective prioritization and time management
- Strong desire to build, ability to multitask, sense of ownership and urgency
- A relevant degree in a related technical discipline or equivalent experience in a large – scale network environment
- Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure
- Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs
- The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail
- The ability to lift boxes and hardware up to 50 lbs
- Travel to data center/network sites and customer/remote offices as needed
Bonus Points if..
- You have in-depth knowledge of and experience with networking and/or systems technologies
- CCNA/CCDP Service Provider Certification is something you have
- You’re experienced working in virtualized enterprise networking environments
- You have software development or programming experience
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.