Radio Network Planning Engineer
Starry is seeking an experienced Radio Network Planning Engineer to join our growing team. You will directly support the Network Design and Deployment group by developing the wireless network design as well as its build and implementation. The role includes radio planning activities related to Starry’s network roll-out and operations in Boston and other markets across the country. The Radio Network Planning Engineer will design, plan and oversee installation of point-to-multipoint (PMP) wireless systems, including radio propagation modeling and prediction, frequency planning, site equipment design, and end-to-end testing. The ideal candidate will have had success building complex wireless data communication systems from greenfield to operations for multiple dwelling units (MDU) and fixed wireless access networks.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Perform network design and quantitative analysis using a combination of radio network planning tools and GIS to determine most optimal PMP hub locations that service a maximum number of buildings within a market
- Extensive field measurement to characterize performance of millimeter wave frequency bands under varying RF environments and clutter class
- Design high capacity point-to-point (PTP) wireless backhaul using Tier 1 radio equipment across a variety of frequency bands and technologies
- Conduct surveys and site walks to validate radio network design and generate a detailed statement of work (SOW) for installation of both roof top radio equipment and indoor structured cabling and distribution, switching, power, and grounding
- Oversee quality of site construction and commissioning process, requiring hands-on knowledge of radio equipment to perform end-to-end testing
- Manage and maintain large datasets in syncing data from radio planning tools, GIS, Salesforce, and Element Management Systems
- Work closely with Sales, Marketing, and Business Development in supplying relevant analysis to expand customer base and provide creative solutions when needed
Experience and Education Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or a related engineering technical field, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years in wireless system design (PMP, PTP, mobile), preferably in deploying greenfield networks
- Design and deployment experience acquired with a wireless provider, consultancy, or radio equipment supplier
- Expertise with RF planning tools (Siradel, Atoll, Planet, or IBwave) and GIS tools (MapInfo or ArcView)
- Understanding of RF propagation theory and model tuning of the radio planning tool
- Proven understanding of balancing construction cost, leasing/permitting risk, schedule, and RF performance in evaluating and selecting hub site locations that serve MDUs
- Hands-on experience with field measurement, installation, and testing of radio equipment
- Comfortable working in a small team or startup, and sometimes ambiguous or fluid environments
- Ability to develop new and nontraditional solutions that leverage multiple wireless technologies and methodologies
- Outstanding shuffleboard skills a plus
We work hard, so we take care of each other and try to enjoy ourselves along the way. We have:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & cocktails on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, spirits, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.