Software Engineer - Cloud Services
Who You Are:
You're an upbeat, creative, fun loving engineer looking for an opportunity in an exciting, fast paced, growing startup. You like working in teams but are also excellent at working on your own. You don't mind asking others for help and you're also happy to help others when they need it. You're a self-motivated developer who enjoys learning new technologies and languages and loves the challenge of complex problems.
About Starry's Technology:
Starry is inventing a cohesive system that brings the Internet to your home and distributes it throughout your home -- all wirelessly. We have been selling consumer Wifi products for over a year and we are beginning to deploy wireless Internet systems in Boston with other cities following shortly. We are constantly developing new products and working to optimize the performance and reliability of our existing technology.
As a full-time engineer on the Cloud Services team, you will be responsible for the design and development of distributed Node.js applications that operate on many layers of the network stack. Our team members are tasked with powering the operation and business support systems for the Starry Internet product ecosystem. Test-driven development, rapid iteration, high availability, and failure resilience are all things we strive for day to day on the Cloud Services team.
What Gets Points:
- Minimum Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent professional experience
- 2 year minimum professional experience using Node.js to build distributed production applications
- Working knowledge of TCP, UDP, and other networking protocols
- 1 year minimum experience with git and GitHub
What Gets Bonus Points:
- TDD experience preferred
- Exposure to complex hybrid cloud/on-prem networking topologies is a plus
What You’ll be Doing:
- Develop Node.js applications (REST, HTTPS, TCP, UDP)
- Implement and maintain test suites (100% coverage is always the objective)
- Collaborate on data architecture and implementations using MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, and other NoSQL databases
- Contribute to the design and development of distributed systems with a focus on site reliability
- Participate in an Agile environment, providing leadership through example
Starry works hard, so we take care of each other and enjoy ourselves along the way. Check out some of the benefits you’ll enjoy if you join the team:
- Premium medical, dental, and vision coverage with no employee contribution required
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- Catered lunches every Monday & cocktails on Friday during our weekly company meeting
- Wine, beer, spirits, and snacks always on hand
- Secure bike storage in the building
- Private shower facilities in our office
- Free gym in the building
- Groups for skiing, biking, running, climbing, stretching, shuffleboard, darts, and more
When applying, if possible please include a link to an active Github account with Node.js work relevant to the description above.
Disclaimer: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Starry, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, creed, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, application for military service or any other class protected by state or federal law.
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.