Starry Advances Digital Equity and Inclusion as Core to Our Mission
Oct 6th, 2022
Broadband access is essential for individuals, families and communities to thrive. At Starry, we are an internet service provider with a mission to make affordable, high-speed home broadband access universal.
In 2018, we launched the Starry Connect program to bring no- and ultra-low cost broadband service to communities that have long been under-connected and underserved. Today, the program reaches more than 77,400 households in public and affordable housing communities in New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, DC, Virginia, California, Colorado, and Ohio.
But, advancing digital equity and inclusion is more than just home broadband access, and we are committed to supporting our communities in unique and meaningful ways. Here’s a look at how we have made an impact over the last year:
- We provided brand new winter coats for the residents of the Cambridge Housing Authority at a Coats + Connectivity event.
- We refreshed a community room at Jersey City Housing Authority’s Hudson Gardens community and created a community lending library and reading room for children.
- We sponsored a scholarship dinner for graduating seniors at Spring Creek Towers and partnered with Microsoft to provide scholarship recipients with a brand new Surface Go 2 tablet to use in their college careers.
- We outfitted a new computer lab for at-risk young adults living at Huckleberry House in Columbus, Ohio.
- We hosted a “prom” for the Denver Housing Authority’s senior residents.
- We refreshed and replanted a community garden with Innovative Housing Concepts in Englewood, Colorado.
- We provided free backpacks and school supplies to students living in three New York City Housing Authority communities as well as the Cambridge Housing Authority in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- We renovated a computer lab in the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles’ Avalon Gardens computer lab so residents can make the most of the internet.
- We hosted more than 2,300 education events and provided more than 5,200 drops of educational materials, across multiple states, to raise awareness and adoption of the federal government’s Affordable Connectivity Program.
To learn more about the Starry Connect program or learn how to become a partner in our digital equity efforts, visit https://starry.com/connect.