A Letter From Our CEO About Our COVID-19 Response
Mar 27th, 2020
To our dedicated subscribers:
This has been a challenging time for all of us as our families and communities continue to respond to the COVID-19 crisis. We hope that you and your families are staying safe and healthy.
While our communities are navigating this uncharted territory, Starry is working nonstop to deliver the essential broadband services that you rely on to keep connected to your family, friends, work and community. We’re committed to ensuring that you experience the same great internet service that you know and love, while simultaneously maintaining safe working conditions for all our employees.
We’re not on the frontlines battling COVID-19 like our doctors, nurses and emergency medical personnel, but we are pulling every lever that we can to support our subscribers, communities and employees during this unprecedented time. That includes:
- Taking the Federal Communications Commission pledge to “Keep Americans Connected.” We voluntarily agreed to not cancel service due to nonpayment during the COVID-19 response. We want everyone to stay connected and were one of the first internet providers to agree to this pledge. The FCC also asked ISPs to lift data caps and do away with late fees. For us, that was a no-brainer: we never had data caps, late fees or other punitive customer policies. You can always count on Starry to be customer-first, on good days and in a crisis.
- Stepping up for our most vulnerable communities and providing free service until the end of May for our Starry Connect subscribers. We know our public and affordable housing communities will be disproportionately impacted by this health crisis and being able to give our Starry Connect subscribers one less thing to worry about is a small, but meaningful way we can demonstrate that ‘we’ve got your back.’
- Expanding Starry Connect availability across all our markets. We have added new housing partners during the COVID-19 crisis, increasing the availability of our $15/month broadband access plan to more public and affordable housing communities. We want to add more communities in NYC, Los Angeles, Boston, DC and Denver, so if you want to help, contact us here.
- Taking all necessary precautions to keep our customers, partners and employees safe. Starry is following all recommended CDC guidelines and instituting rigorous protocols for all our teams that work directly with customers. That translates into cleaning and disinfecting all equipment, wearing new gloves during all installations and customer interactions; frequent hand-washing and strictly observing social distancing practices (no handshaking, maintaining a six foot distance when possible).
- Recognizing and rewarding our employees in the field. Our network deployment, maintenance and installation teams are continuing to work around the clock to ensure that people stay connected. As an essential service provider, federal, state and local governments have deemed our work necessary and essential to keeping our communities functional. We are humbled by the grit and dedication our employees have displayed in keeping Starry moving forward and are recognizing that hard work with additional bonuses for our field techs.
We are truly grateful for your support during this time, but we know that support is a two-way street. Our Starry Experts remain available 24/7 to help you navigate everything from working from home for the first time, to helping get your kids set up for e-learning.
As the COVID-19 crisis continues to evolve, we promise to continue to be responsive to the needs of our communities and always remain true to our core mission of connecting as many people as possible to high-quality, affordable broadband and delighting you with an internet service experience that is second to none.
Be well and stay safe,
Co-Founder and CEO