Our Statement on Net Neutrality
Dec 15th, 2017
When we founded Starry, we started with a simple but fundamental premise: people deserve better internet. We built our company around this; it's in our DNA, and it carries through the decisions we make every day. We strive to make every customer interaction a happy one.
Better internet means our customers get great broadband and just that. It means we charge a fair price with no hidden fees or surprises. It means we don’t have data caps. It means that we protect your privacy and the data you send over our network. It means our customers get amazing customer care from sign up, through installation, and every day after.
Better internet also means that our customers get the full and open internet and nothing less. We are the bridge between our customers and the entirety of the internet; we are not the gatekeeper, toll operator, or curator.
Starry supports a free and open internet, and we protect our customers’ right to use the internet however they see fit. We treat all traffic equally, because a free and open internet has been the single biggest driver of innovation over the last generation, and we want that engine of innovation to continue unimpeded.
Starry customers can stream endless videos of exploding watermelons on any service or turn yourself into a dancing banana on any app — or build a better app yourself. You can binge-watch 4K video until your eyeballs bleed (but please don’t) or video chat with your colleagues on the other side of the planet. You can go to whatever weird (but legal) website you want. We don’t care. Have fun. Go nuts.
You are free to use your internet service pretty much however you want. For our part, here’s our clear, plain-English commitment to operating an open internet service:
- We do not prioritize any content, application, or service. You literally can’t pay us to do this.
- We do not block access to any legal content, application, or service.
- We do not cap the amount of data our customers can use. Stream 4K all day if you want. Stream 4K on multiple devices, even. We’re fine with it.
- We do not inspect and collect the contents of the packets that transit through our network. We need some basic info to make sure everything goes where it’s supposed to, but that’s it.
- We do not throttle specific content, applications, or services. If you are doing something way, way out of the ordinary that impacts our ability to serve other customers, we may reduce your total throughput for a very short period of time (we will be as clear as possible about the trigger for doing so). We are all in this together.
- We do not prohibit customers from attaching devices to their connection. We may require you to use our Starry Station WiFi router to provide you with optimal service, but we don’t charge extra for the Station, and it's pretty great, so we think it’s a net positive.
Over the next few weeks, we will be updating our existing open internet disclosure statement and memorializing these clear commitments. And if you ever have any issues with the way we operate our service, let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
CEO and Co-Founder of Starry Internet